If you update your LMDE in VirtualBox...

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

If you update your LMDE in VirtualBox...

Post by Monsta »

Well, that's not as important as updating a "real" system, but I think it counts as an upgrade issue anyway. :)

My VirtualBox 4.1.12 (with Guest Additions installed) apparently hasn't realized that Xorg has been updated from 1.10 to 1.11. So the next reboot left me with just a console where I had to fix things manually. And the fix was to correct a couple of symlinks with the following commands (must be run as root):

Code: Select all

cd /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers
rm vboxvideo_drv.so
ln -s /usr/lib/VBoxGuestAdditions/vboxvideo_drv_111.so vboxvideo_drv.so

Code: Select all

cd /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri
rm vboxvideo_dri.so
ln -s /usr/lib/VBoxOGL.so vboxvideo_dri.so
After reboot, things are back to normal. :)

WARNING: Xorg 1.11 support in Guest Additions has been added only in VirtualBox 4.1.4 (see changelog and the fixed bug). If you're running LMDE in VirtualBox older than 4.1.4, update VirtualBox itself first.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
j1mw3b
Level 1
Level 1

Re: If you update your LMDE in VirtualBox...

Post by j1mw3b »

Thanks for this. I had updated my virtualbox vm (XFCE) and got the bash login terminal screen.
Your fix solved it. Don't think I would have found it otherwise.
I had posted here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 73#p567573

Maybe you know about this issue: I tried Gnome 3 and it failed - saying my graphics card is not good enough. A 3 month old Lenovo Thinkpad T520 with Intel SandyBridge HD 3000 chip. Seems like it would be good enough.

I can try to debug it, but it has removed Gnome 3 from the list of desktops options at login.
Would you or anyone know how to put it back in there or how to tell it to start the Gnome 3 desktop?

Thanks,

Jim
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

Since this is a different problem (and with different hardware), it's better to open a new thread. Also check out this one, maybe it will help.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

Okay folks, it looks like we've got another Xorg update coming - Update Pack 5 (which is being tested now) will bring 1.12. So be prepared to fix the symlinks once more... 8)

Though I'm starting to suspect this is only needed (and applicable) if you've installed the additions from the ISO image. If they are installed as packages (their names start with virtualbox-guest-*) on the guest system, there are some differences in the filenames. For example, /usr/lib/VBoxGuestAdditions directory doesn't even exist.

I guess the package named virtualbox-guest-dkms is supposed to help in this case - the required modules will be rebuilt on update if needed.
I'll found that out once Update Pack 5 hits the Latest repo. :D

Oh, and it looks like the warning has to be repeated. So here it is, updated.

WARNING: Xorg 1.12 support in Guest Additions has been added only in VirtualBox 4.1.10 (see changelog). If you're running LMDE in VirtualBox older than 4.1.10, update VirtualBox itself first.

--------------------
* the exception is virtualbox-guest-additions-iso which contains the mentioned ISO image and should be installed on the host system.

Return to “LMDE Archive”