Replace MintMenu with default Gnome menu

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
P_A_R

Replace MintMenu with default Gnome menu

Post by P_A_R »

I have used default gnome, but suddenly after a bootup I got the MintMenu.
(Distro=Mint 12 Lisa, CPU=32 bits)
The user guide says:
Replace the menu with the default Gnome menu
If you decide you don’t like the menu and that no matter how cool it is, you want to use
the default Gnome menu instead, then follow the steps below.
Right click on the menu button within the panel and choose “Remove from Panel”.
Then right click on an empty part of the Panel and choose “Add to Panel”.
Then select “Main Menu” if you want a simple Gnome Menu, “Menu Bar” if you want
the default Gnome Menu or “mintMenu” if you change your mind and actually want to
use the Linux Mint menu.

Right clicking (or combinations of alt-right or ctrl-right) does not bring up neither "Remove from panel" nor "Add to panel".
I have looked through this forum but find no clue, so I have to ask. I would like to have back my default Gnome menu, since I am used to it and like it.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
squeezy

Re: Replace MintMenu with default Gnome menu

Post by squeezy »

Sounds to me like those instructions are for Gnome 2. Lisa comes with Gnome 3, an entirely different beast.
proxima_centauri

Post by proxima_centauri »

The information in the user guide is for releases Linux Mint 11 and below.

Linux Mint 12 feature the new release of GNOME3. Classic gnome session available through Login Screen has an older style menu, and there are various extensions you can get for regular default gnome-shell session such as this one -> https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/ ... ions-menu/

Furthermore, if you wish to switch to Cinnamon desktop, which Linux Mint is now actively developing (available through package manager and selectable at login screen); there are some menu applets but I don't think they look like what you're looking for.
P_A_R

Post by P_A_R »

proxima_centauri wrote:The information in the user guide is for releases Linux Mint 11 and below.
Ok, I see. Where should I look for a user guide for Lisa?
proxima_centauri wrote:Linux Mint 12 feature the new release of GNOME3. Classic gnome session available through Login Screen has an older style menu, and there are various extensions you can get for regular default gnome-shell session such as this one -> https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/ ... ions-menu/
Point is that I had Gnome menu up and running, but suddenly MintMenu popped up instead, after a boot.
So I would like to have it back.

BTW: When I boot up the computer I do not get any login screen, I get the welcome page directly.

Return to “MATE”