jdownloader

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
CapitalG

jdownloader

Post by CapitalG »

im a big fan of jdownloader. what version of java should i install for it? or is there a better replacement to use that doesnt need java?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
20000Leagues

Re: jdownloader

Post by 20000Leagues »

I'd be interested in knowing how to get this as well.

I was just going to add

Code: Select all

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/jd-team/jdownloader/ubuntu oneiric main
to my sources and get it that way, but if I don't have the right JAVA it could be sticky
Last edited by 20000Leagues on Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CapitalG

Post by CapitalG »

im a lmde newbie but i think it's bad to add those? it can break the system with a update maybe. i wish jdownloader wasnt java based.
äxl

Post by äxl »

CapitalG, could you please use the search: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=197&t=98650
And yes you shouldn't add external/unknown repositories.
Also: Launchpad/Ubuntu doesn't really behave well with Debian.
CapitalG

Post by CapitalG »

seriously dude! :x enough with use the search :roll: im sure a mod will set me straight if im being so out of line by making a new topic on the matter. this is a message board where you can post thoughts and if you don't like them just don't reply. lots of other stuff to read, although i appreciate your help in the other thread :wink:
20000Leagues

Post by 20000Leagues »

For what its worth I using the method I mentioned in my previous post, I managed to get JDownloader up & running just fine without having to tweak any Java settings.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

CapitalG wrote:im a lmde newbie but i think it's bad to add those? it can break the system with a update maybe. i wish jdownloader wasnt java based.
5 minutes googling and you could have jd installed in your system without adding ppa's (in the end it's your choice, but why don't you just use the ubuntu-based v. of mint if you can't change the way you think and interact with the comp and the issues - not every problem is solved by adding yet another ppa, that is not an answer in ubuntu, less in debian)
20000Leagues wrote:For what its worth I using the method I mentioned in my previous post, I managed to get JDownloader up & running just fine without having to tweak any Java settings.
the same goes for you, it installed and it's working, you never know when/if one day something is gonna break, then we can't really help you because the changes you made to your system are totally unsupported.

howto do it:
open a terminal and

su

wget http://installer.jdownloader.org/jd_unix_0_9.sh

chmod +x jd_unix_0_9.sh
now you have a jd_unix_0_9.sh installer in your home folder, double-click, choose "run in terminal" and be happy :lol:
20000Leagues

Post by 20000Leagues »

Most examples that I found recommended doing some version of adding a Launchpad ppa/deb, so I wouldn't say its that clearcut in understanding how to install it. :?

http://blog.hbautista.com/linux/jdownlo ... an-wheezy/
http://linuxconfig.org/ubuntu-debian-jd ... tion-howto

Thanks for posting that 'correct' way though!
CapitalG

Post by CapitalG »

zerozero wrote:
CapitalG wrote:im a lmde newbie but i think it's bad to add those? it can break the system with a update maybe. i wish jdownloader wasnt java based.
5 minutes googling and you could have jd installed in your system without adding ppa's (in the end it's your choice, but why don't you just use the ubuntu-based v. of mint if you can't change the way you think and interact with the comp and the issues - not every problem is solved by adding yet another ppa, that is not an answer in ubuntu, less in debian)l:
where did i say i wanted to add a ppa?
nomko

Post by nomko »

CapitalG wrote:seriously dude! :x enough with use the search
Nobody is straightening you out! Do you ever realize how many threads are posted here containing the same issue over and over again??? Searching this forum isn't hard to do nd will also provide you with good solutions. Posting the same issue over and over again will lead to flooding this forum.
im sure a mod will set me straight if im being so out of line by making a new topic on the matter.
If that new thread contains the same issue or matter... Yes, then we let you know that you do the wrong thing! It is only wise to create anonther topic which contains another issue which has no relations to other issues.
this is a message board where you can post thoughts
Correct, but you cannot keep going on posting the same thing over and over again. respect that.
and if you don't like them just don't reply. lots of other stuff to read, although i appreciate your help in the other thread
If you keep continue straighten us out (i quote: seriously dude! :x enough with use the search), eventually nobody will help you. Appreciate that people will help you in any way possible. We all are volunteers, we do not get paid for providing help. We help others as good as we can.
nomko

Post by nomko »

CapitalG wrote:im a big fan of jdownloader. what version of java should i install for it? or is there a better replacement to use that doesnt need java?
SUN Java is available in the repositories and already installed. A replacement of SUN Java would be OpenJDK which is also available in the repositories.

But if you have SUN Java installed, there's no reason to swap it for OpenJDK unless you experience problems with SUN Java.
äxl

Post by äxl »

20000Leagues wrote:Most examples that I found recommended doing some version of adding a Launchpad ppa/deb
Because it's the easy way out. But adding an unofficial repository just to get a package could learn you the 'hard' way. (Just like it did me with dpkg from an added LPPPA repository. It didn't broke a thing but do you want an external application taking over root rights?)
so I wouldn't say its that clearcut in understanding how to install it. :?
@all: Why not take an advise with the official sources and follow the help step by step?

Thanks, nomko for the statement. I couldn't have said it better ... and calmer. ;)
nomko wrote:But if you have SUN Java installed, there's no reason to swap it for OpenJDK unless you experience problems with SUN Java.
That's what I thought as well but: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 55#p567355
A Debian dev with links: http://sylvestre.ledru.info/blog/sylves ... rom_debian
CapitalG

Post by CapitalG »

nomko wrote:
CapitalG wrote:seriously dude! :x enough with use the search
Nobody is straightening you out! Do you ever realize how many threads are posted here containing the same issue over and over again??? Searching this forum isn't hard to do nd will also provide you with good solutions. Posting the same issue over and over again will lead to flooding this forum.
im sure a mod will set me straight if im being so out of line by making a new topic on the matter.
If that new thread contains the same issue or matter... Yes, then we let you know that you do the wrong thing! It is only wise to create anonther topic which contains another issue which has no relations to other issues.
this is a message board where you can post thoughts
Correct, but you cannot keep going on posting the same thing over and over again. respect that.
and if you don't like them just don't reply. lots of other stuff to read, although i appreciate your help in the other thread
If you keep continue straighten us out (i quote: seriously dude! :x enough with use the search), eventually nobody will help you. Appreciate that people will help you in any way possible. We all are volunteers, we do not get paid for providing help. We help others as good as we can.
i can't believe you took the time for this huge response? :roll: im not posting the same thing over and over? :roll: i never said you had to help me? i would prefer you don't. if someone else doesn't want to help that is fine by me. like i said just ignore it if your not interested. how hard is that? man i thought it was bad over at the ubuntuforums where they dont want you talking about linux mint...over here you can't talk about anything :lol:

yes i do use the search! i have found many answers using it. sometimes i don't find what im looking for and i post a new topic! SUE ME! :x
CapitalG

Post by CapitalG »

on another note i guess my topic wasn't such a waste since a few people have been talking about java. there's this actual conversation stuff going on :roll: maybe everyone needs to use the search in here also :wink:
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

@all,
- let's keep this inside the forum rules, please and not get lost in off-topics (and personal msg)
- there was ended a question in the OP;
- the forum worked and offered several options;
- all the remaining steam is not needed;

[please don't make me lock the topic]
äxl

Post by äxl »

CapitalG, I would suggest to use the tutorial I posted.
OpenJDK doesn't work very well with jd unfortunately.
I've read it doesn't work with GNU Java (gcj-jre).
An official package written in Python would be tucan.

Return to “LMDE Archive”