how to preview images when adding them as attachment?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mercier

how to preview images when adding them as attachment?

Post by mercier »

in gnome, or xfce - when i'm trying to add an image as attachment in thunderbird, or insert it in the message itself, i can only open file browser showing names of the files, without the preview of the images.

is there a way to see thumbs?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: how to preview images when adding them as attachment?

Post by Husse »

I think this has to be done by an extension but I did not find one.... :shock:
mercier

Post by mercier »

but, isn't it an linux issue - in windows you don't need an extension, actually there are quite a few more options in windows file managers...
Husse

Post by Husse »

You get thumbs in Nautilus, but not in Thunderbird.
If you get thumbs in Win it's something with the Linux version of TB
But I recently found that in my wifes Windows there are no thumbs in TB
mercier

Post by mercier »

yep, seems you are right.

again. ;)
Husse

Post by Husse »

:mrgreen:
Lucky you - you haven't seen when I'm wrong :) :)
Seriously it has happened - but less than 10 times :)
AlexSlocker

Post by AlexSlocker »

I had time ago the same question. Because I think it's a serious usability error not be able to preview the images you're about to attach (in any webmail happens as well, in fact, in any 'upload image' in the Internet), or even, you're going to open. I asked some engineers I know about this problem. They told me that was a problem of the GTK libraries, because you can preview images when attaching in KDE (with QT libraries) for example. And that's why also you cannot preview them in XFCE, because it use GTK as well. I think it's a serious issue to deal with. Some programs, like GIMP, for example, add a panel to show you the preview, by I think it's more like a 'trick'. It would be nonsense to be searching and image in GIMP, but not be able to preview it! So the problem is not the Thunderbird version, instead the GTK libraries.

Return to “Software & Applications”