consultation on linux mint lxde

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gero8801

consultation on linux mint lxde

Post by gero8801 »

I have a Intel Celeron CPU 2.8GHz with 1.5 GB RAM, but linux mint 12 is running slow for me (i was lubuntu user). I want to know what is the difference betwen install now lxde in mint 12 or wait for the lxde version?, there are many bugs?, is slower?. if it was available, is posible convert to the lxde version without restart?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Re: consultation on linux mint lxde

Post by nunol »

The next Mint LXDE release it's Mint 12 LXDE and is currently in testing so a RC release should arrive soon if there are no problems: http://community.linuxmint.com/iso/view/111

If you can wait for it it's better because Mint 12 LXDE is more than just Mint 12 with the default LXDE desktop on top. You can install Mint 12 and then a LXDE desktop on top but you have to remove a lot of unnecessary Gnome stuff, install a Mint theme instead of the default LXDE theme and setup the other Mint goodies to work well with LXDE.

If you don't mind to setup Mint 12 with a LXDE desktop then go ahead and install LXDE on top of Mint 12. That way you can have your LXDE installation much sooner than if you wait for the Mint 12 LXDE edition and it's build your way. On a slow computer it may be a problem to install Mint 12 first but your computer it's not so slow.

If you want even more speed from your computer you can try a WM like Fluxbox or Openbox and/or move to the Debian base.
gero8801

Post by gero8801 »

Thanks for the explanation nunol. I'll try to wait for Mint 12 LXDE and maybe I'll prove fluxbox that ever caused me curiosity.
mintyed

Post by mintyed »

gero8801 wrote:I have a Intel Celeron CPU 2.8GHz with 1.5 GB RAM, but linux mint 12 is running slow for me (i was lubuntu user). I want to know what is the difference betwen install now lxde in mint 12 or wait for the lxde version?, there are many bugs?, is slower?. if it was available, is posible convert to the lxde version without restart?
um mint 12 has an lxde version. i would wait till mint 13 is out in about med of may. then wait for an lxde or xfce version to be made.
if you have a bit more linux knowledge and have been using for some time other distros. i would recommend lmde (linux mint debian) xfce version. It is built on debian testing so not for the new Linux user. you need at least a medium to expert knowledge. as things can go wrong with LMDE at times.
mank_in

Post by mank_in »

I am try installing LM12 LXDE with celeron 2,66 Ghz, 512MB DDR2, I945 Mainboard and 20GB IDE Drive ( the harddrive from 2003 and only support UltraDMA2 ) , the system is responsive.
I notice at least if your VGA capable running 3d accelerated without driver problem , the system will be responsive.
If you want use firefox open 10 tab or more , I recommend using 1 GB RAM
mintyed

Post by mintyed »

mank_in wrote:I am try installing LM12 LXDE with celeron 2,66 Ghz, 512MB DDR2, I945 Mainboard and 20GB IDE Drive ( the harddrive from 2003 and only support UltraDMA2 ) , the system is responsive.
I notice at least if your VGA capable running 3d accelerated without driver problem , the system will be responsive.
If you want use firefox open 10 tab or more , I recommend using 1 GB RAM
with those specks i would be running an operating system like puppy linux on that box not lxde mint or xfce mint debian

Return to “Software & Applications”