[solved] A discrete LMDE start-up

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
roger64
Level 4
Level 4

[solved] A discrete LMDE start-up

Post by roger64 »

A discrete LMDE

I installed LMDE64 with the latest "incoming" iso, if I may say it so. No problems. However, when starting LMDE, during about 15 seconds, il spits a lot of ugly and useless text (we have dmesg, haven't we?). I'd like to have a clean start up, even with a black screen. How to achieve it? Why? Just to show off, of course. :D

I implemented also automatic login. I tried also to install lightdm-gtk-greeter but it failed to install. Any ideas on how to achieve a discrete start-up ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zerozero

Re: A discrete LMDE start-up

Post by zerozero »

Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

roger64 wrote:However, when starting LMDE, during about 15 seconds, il spits a lot of ugly and useless text (we have dmesg, haven't we?).
A lillte offtopic: just in case you'll really need that text someday I'd like to note that most of it won't show in dmesg output, but it can be recorded by bootlogd, and then you can retrieve it from /var/log/boot file. :)
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

with great consideration for LifeInTheGrey's work, i think that plymouth is a useless eye-candy, but...
äxl

Post by äxl »

Monsta wrote:A lillte offtopic: just in case you'll really need that text someday I'd like to note that most of it won't show in dmesg output, but it can be recorded by bootlogd, and then you can retrieve it from /var/log/boot file. :)
bootlogd shows not everything. The whole log is written in /var/log/kern.log as a standard.
You don't need to install a package for that, am I wrong?

@roger64: I think this text is a better showoff then a black screen. ;)
äxl

Post by äxl »

zerozero wrote:with great consideration for LifeInTheGrey's work, i think that plymouth is a useless eye-candy, but...
I read it can solve screen flickers. But I suppose that's not important for the post-CRT era.

@roger64: Just add "splash" or "quiet splash" to the line and

Code: Select all

update-grub
Last edited by äxl on Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
roger64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by roger64 »

Hi

Thanks all for your reply. I did not install grub pour LMDE64 because I was using the LM12 grub. I was not sure I would succeed as it was a release candidate. Now, I will install it with the rght options and I am confident I will get rid of this verbosity.
äxl

Post by äxl »

roger64 wrote:Hi

Thanks all for your reply. I did not install grub pour LMDE64 because I was using the LM12 grub. I was not sure I would succeed as it was a release candidate. Now, I will install it with the rght options and I am confident I will get rid of this verbosity.
Do you have grub or grub2 installed? Because this hint is applicable for all grub2.

In grub it should be

defoptions=quiet splash
in the file

/boot/grub/menu.lst
roger64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by roger64 »

HI

So I have now grub2 installed. I set-up the quiet splash option as advised and it's really much quieter. I still see some decent lines of text, but few, I would say about twenty or thirty lines. OK. Solved.

Thanks for all.
äxl

Post by äxl »

You could also try just "quiet". Or was it "splash quiet"? :D

Return to “LMDE Archive”