Intel Sandy Bridge Graphics controller

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jjump

Intel Sandy Bridge Graphics controller

Post by jjump »

Hello,

I am setting up a workstation for a user. I want to know if this graphics controller will work with Linux Mint Ubuntu version. I'd like to use Mint if possible.

Thanks
Jimmy

As seen by lspci -nnk
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Sandy Bridge Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:0102] (rev 09)
Subsystem: Lenovo Device [17aa:307c]

As seen by Xorg.0.log
8086:0102:17aa:307c Intel Corporation Sandy Bridge Integrated Graphics Controller rev 9

As seen by lshw -C video

*-display
description: VGA compatible controller
product: Sandy Bridge Integrated Graphics Controller
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 2
bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
version: 09
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: msi pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
configuration: driver=i915 latency=0
resources: irq:27 memory:fe000000-fe3fffff memory:c0000000-cfffffff ioport:f000(size=64)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Intel Sandy Bridge Graphics controller

Post by remoulder »

jjump wrote:will work
What do you mean by this? How were the outputs obtained? Which version of mint are you intending to install? Mint 12 is based on ubuntu 11.10, what works on that should work on mint.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
Dédale

Post by Dédale »

I don't know if this is helpful but on phoronix they said the sandy bridge graphics were "flying fast" on linux. I wait for someone more knowledgeable to give more info but i expect it to work our of the box.
jjump

Post by jjump »

Hi Thanks for the replies.

remoulder,

""jjump wrote:will work""
What I mean by "will work" is.... will Mint recognize and utilize my graphics properly and not force me to use "nomodeset" or a generic driver.
The issue I have now is that I am using opensuse 11.3 and the card is not supported apparently according to the opensuse HCL http://en.opensuse.org//HCL:Video ..
I have tried and I only get a black screen with opensuse 11.3. Therefore I would like to use Mint. I have spent alot of time trying to follow links and modify the Xorg parameters within /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ with no progress.

The outputs were obtained with lspci -nnk, lshw -C video, and takes from /var/log/Xorg.0.log. I understand that Linux Mint 12 Lisa is based on Ubuntu 11.11 however since I have not tested that I am not sure that the graphics will work here either.

Dedale,

I do know that the chipset will work on Linux I am just unsure that it will work on Mint 12 Lisa or Ubuntu 11.11.

Thanks
Jimmy
mank_in

Post by mank_in »

You can see this : http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=98881, about sandy bridge graphic run in LM12.
Maybe for some type of laptop have a problem ( realated with BIOS or ACPI ), but usually you don't need change anything in Grub option to launch LM12 with sandy bridge Graphic. You can download and test LM ISO .

Usually the output of "inxi -Gx" is something like this :
Graphics: Card: Intel Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0
X.Org 1.10.4 drivers intel unloaded: vesa,fbdev
GLX Renderer Mesa DRI Intel Ironlake Mobile GLX Version 2.1 Mesa 8.1-devel (git-897af1d oneiric-oibaf-ppa) Direct Rendering Yes
jjump

Post by jjump »

Thanks guys,

I never overcame this obstacle on SuSE..never tried on Mint as I did not get the feedback that it was sure to work. I went with an Nvidia card and stayed on SuSE for now.

Mark this one closed with no resolution.

Jimmy

Return to “Hardware Support”