linux mint 11 gnome hangs with 100%

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
killernat

linux mint 11 gnome hangs with 100%

Post by killernat »

when i boot and login to my main account it hangs when i use the ctrl+alt+f1 and look at htop i see that gnome shell takes up 100% of of cpu if i restart it (using sudo service gdm restart) and log on to my secondary account it logs in just fine with no problems
it happens after i get my main account all set up i found that if i remove and replace my /home/user/ with my secondary accounts folder it "fixes" the problem until i reboot again

this only happens after i do the updates after i install and it also happened with linuxmint 10
my system is fully updated
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
killernat

Re: linux mint 11 gnome hangs with 100%

Post by killernat »

any one have a fix or an idea on how to fix this problem i have been looking for a long time and its really bothering me
Technischer

Post by Technischer »

Hi there,

I am an absolute beginner with linux and mint, and i have the same problem. After login in with Gnome, the screen freezes. Today i reinstalled my mint and the same error occurs after a while. It happened after the second reboot.
killernat

Post by killernat »

this is the only solution that i have found but the new profile gets corrupted eventually too
killernat wrote:you sound like ur having the same issue as me use ctrl+alt+f2 when it freezes log in and use

Code: Select all

$ sudo service gdm restart
befor that try runing

$ top
to see if gnome shell is taking all the cpu
so far the only solution i found is to make a new user from the above mentioned method

$ sudo adduser <new username>
$sudo adduser <new username> admin
Technischer

Post by Technischer »

Hi there,

thanks, i tried the following commands, but restarting the service doesn't work.
afer running

$ top 
there are some processes but i have no idea what to see/do
creating a new user doesn't solve the problem too, after login in, the screen freezes
killernat wrote:this is the only solution that i have found but the new profile gets corrupted eventually too
killernat wrote:you sound like ur having the same issue as me use ctrl+alt+f2 when it freezes log in and use

$ sudo service gdm restart
befor that try runing

$ top
to see if gnome shell is taking all the cpu
so far the only solution i found is to make a new user from the above mentioned method

$ sudo adduser <new username>
$sudo adduser <new username> admin
killernat

Post by killernat »

whats the process that take up 100% of the cpu

also did you login to the new user after you restart gdm
if restart dosnt work try

$ sudo service gdm stop
$ sudo service gdm start
Technischer

Post by Technischer »

Hi there,

yes, i logged in into the new user. I went back to

$ top
and there is no process with 100%, most of them are zero and the process on the top got 3% cpu.

Trying to stop/start gdm gives:

gdm: unrecognized service
What does this mean?
killernat

Post by killernat »

there are two other options i can think of

$ sudo service lightdm restart
or
$ sudo service gdm3 restart
if neither of theses works im at a loss of what could be wrong

also were you ever able to get to the desktop?
Technischer

Post by Technischer »

"lightdm restart" replaces the gui and then the same problem occurs.
service gdm3 is also unrecognized service.

History: some days ago i reinstalled mint because of this probmlem. Then it worked fine, i installed some applications and after restarting the system the day after the problem was there.

Maybe i did something badly wrong, i don't know.

Desktop occurs, bottom panel occurs, then after some seconds, the folders on desktop occur and then it hangs.
And then it is not possible to do anything, after some more seconds the top panel occurs but there is no interaction.
After waiting quite long, you can open folders but it seemes like every klick needs 10 seconds to get catched.

Now i'm using gnome2 gui it works just fine, but i'm little bit confused about this problem.

Maybe someone have an idea, but i think i will try to reinstall mint in a few days and try to figure it out.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

It is obviously an account (user) configuration problem: since your second username is OK

A simple way of managing it would be to change some setting for the user that had the problem, presuming you can at least get the desktop running..
  • You might add one of the available groups for that user, and save the setting
  • Logout that user, try logging in again
    --or restart the desktop service (desktop window manager..)
    --or reboot to make sure everything gets reinitialized, including the desktop
If you don't do that, then carefully look over the user setting, perhaps make a minor edit, if it all looked OK
  • Save the minor change
  • relogin that username
    --you could relogon in a terminal, select an tty1 or other Ctrl + Alt + F6, for example
    --there are 6 available, F1..F6
    ctrl + Alt = F7 gets you back to the desktop (that was running, if you don't stop the windows manager)
Technischer

Post by Technischer »

The second user i added, didn't work also (same problem). So i think its probably not a user configuration problem
Kevin108

Post by Kevin108 »

What video card do you have? I have crazy freezing issues with the Noveau driver and an old Nvidia 6800. If I install the official drivers, everything's fine.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

@killernat: Are you sure that you're using Linux Mint 11? You're mentioning Gnome Shell in the first post. This leads me to think that you're using Mint 12 instead. Also sudo service gdm didn't work for you. We don't use the gdm login screen anymore in Mint 12, it's replaced with lightdm.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
Technischer

Post by Technischer »

@Kevin108 I got a Nvidia 8800 GTX, but the thing is, it worked fine for 2-3 months till now.
Technischer

Post by Technischer »

@ALL I'm so sorry, i thought i'm using mint 11 but its 12! So somebody have an idea for this case?
Kevin108

Re: Re: linux mint 11 gnome hangs with 100%

Post by Kevin108 »

Technischer wrote:@Kevin108 I got a Nvidia 8800 GTX, but the thing is, it worked fine for 2-3 months till now.
Did you recently update the kernel?
killernat

Post by killernat »

AlbertP wrote:@killernat: Are you sure that you're using Linux Mint 11? You're mentioning Gnome Shell in the first post. This leads me to think that you're using Mint 12 instead. Also sudo service gdm didn't work for you. We don't use the gdm login screen anymore in Mint 12, it's replaced with lightdm.
im quite sure i am using 11 as i re installed after not liking gome3 / mate as much as gnome 2
also gnome-shell doesn't cause a problem until after i logon
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

@killernat: gnome-shell on Mint 10/11 :?: Are you sure it's not another process? You don't have gnome-shell on the Gnome 2 desktop of Mint 10 & 11.
killernat

Post by killernat »

yes i am sure it is the process name is "gnome-shell" when i check with htop
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Did you really attempt to install Gnome Shell on Mint 11?

Please select the normal gnome session on the login screen instead of the shell.

Return to “MATE”