Loving LMDE

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
kiirokurisu

Loving LMDE

Post by kiirokurisu »

I would like to say a big thank you to the team behind the latest LMDE release. I am, like many, a switcher coming from Ubuntu. Also like many, with the recent changes in direction of Ubuntu, I have been all over town trying different desktop environments and distributions. None have felt as comfortable and familiar as LMDE with Cinnamon. I would love to see the Debian edition becoming the main version of Mint. With Ubuntu increasingly going its own way and leaving its Debian roots behind, I believe there is a huge gap to be filled by a distribution based on Debian Testing but with more vetting for stability, as LMDE has been doing. I am also really enjoying using Cinnamon - this is a fantastic project and I hope it will keep advancing in leaps and bounds.

I am an experienced developer and tester and I would love to donate some of my time to help further the project. I would welcome some advice on contacting the right people to get started.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: Loving LMDE

Post by viking777 »

I know nothing whatsoever about developing/coding, but one of our other moderators recently posted this reply to a similar question. I am sure he won't mind me repeating it here so here we go:
If you want to develop for Linux Mint, I think developing Cinnamon, and writing applets and extensions for Cinnamon, is where the help is most useful right now. Source code to Linux Mint developed applications, such as Cinnamon, is at https://github.com/linuxmint, and issues are tracked there also. If you can help fix some issues, that would surely be appreciated.

The Linux Mint, and Cinnamon applet an extension, developers, hang out at #linuxmint-dev. To join, in the Mint Menu, in the Internet section, start the application XChat IRC. You will automatically get connected to #linuxmint-chat for general chat and #linuxmint-help for support with other Linux Mint users. Then type the following to join the developer channel:
CODE: SELECT ALL
/join #linuxmint-dev

Be sure also to check out the Community website (ideas, tutorials, and hardware and software reviews), and the Cinnamon Spices website for adding themes, applets and extensions to Cinnamon (and check out the Cinnamon Extras package, which will install a lot of these for your automatically). If you haven't installed Cinnamon, see here the most recent update for a teaser.
kiirokurisu

Re: Loving LMDE

Post by kiirokurisu »

Thanks for the reply viking777, very informative. I have certainly noticed the odd quirk in the latest version of Cinnamon, so patching up as many of those as I can will be a pleasure.

Return to “LMDE Archive”