Open Office will not open network files. Solved!!!

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Open Office will not open network files. Solved!!!

Post by Fornhamfred »

I know in the dim and distant past on a different distro I had this problem. I can see word and excel files on my XP machine across the network but when I double click them to open them with Open Office the Open Office splash screen is displayed but the files do not open. The same operation in PcLinux and the files open and are editable before resaving to the Windows XP drives. Can anyone suggest a solution please.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Open Office will not open network files.

Post by Zwopper »

Fornhamfred wrote:I know in the dim and distant past on a different distro I had this problem. I can see word and excel files on my XP machine across the network but when I double click them to open them with Open Office the Open Office splash screen is displayed but the files do not open. The same operation in PcLinux and the files open and are editable before resaving to the Windows XP drives. Can anyone suggest a solution please.
I've got the same problem, my band-aid solution is to copy the files back and forth - NOT very efficient!
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Fornhamfred »

Yes I have used that method in the past, but there is a solution. Hopefully someone can help us out.

Edited.
Well now, I do not know what has changed but I am able to open all the open office files on the shared discs on my XP machine, edit them and save.
Edited.
15minutes later. Nothing has changed on either machine but I once again cannot open the office files on XP. Intermittant problems are the worst.
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Fornhamfred »

I have posted this problem on the open office forum but without success, how-ever I found the same problem with Mepis. After opening Smbk4 and manually adding a bookmark to the drive on my XP machine I was able to open the open office files, edit them and save.

I found Smbk4 in the package manager in Mint, downloaded it,opened it and under network manually mounted my XP drive and was able to edit the files. My XP shares were also displayed if I scanned the network even though they are often not available under network in Nautilus.

The problem would appear to be with Samba and not Open Office.
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Fornhamfred »

What is openoffice.org-gnome? I have looked in the repositories and cannot find it.
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

Fornhamfred wrote:What is openoffice.org-gnome? I have looked in the repositories and cannot find it.
It is in Synaptics, and it solved my problems.
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Fornhamfred »

Thanks Zopper

I had looked in Synaptics but could not see it but did search and there is was. Works a treat thanks as long as Samba is not throwing a wobbly.

Return to “Software & Applications”