LMDE 201204 and nVidia 295.40 - 32bit OpenGL not working?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
r2rX

LMDE 201204 and nVidia 295.40 - 32bit OpenGL not working?

Post by r2rX »

Hey guys,

I've been playing with LMDE 201204 for a couple of days and i'm really enjoying the Cinnamon experience....the only quirk that i've encountered is getting the 32-bit OpenGL libraries working.

So, I have downloaded the 295.40 drivers from nVidia, directly, and installed the drivers. During the installer, however, there was a weird prompt that I hadn't seen in prior versions of LMDE. Basically, when it came time to install the 32-bit OpenGL library files, the installer prompted that the folder (that it's supposed to install to) does not exist but should it proceed anyway? So I said yes and the drivers proceeded to install. When trying to run 32bit OpenGL titles (whether native i.e. UT2004 or through WINE), I get OpenGL related issues....even though the files are present on my system.

So is this normal?

I also tried installing the 295.20 drivers, within the repository, but the results was the same.

Has anyone else encountered this issue?

P.S The nouveau drivers are disabled, so there is no conflict between the drivers.

Thanks for reading.

r2rX :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
non-portable

Re: LMDE 201204 and nVidia 295.40 - 32bit OpenGL not working

Post by non-portable »

I just installed the drivers from the repository including libgl1-nvidia-glx-ia32.

I hit similar problems with 32 bit games and had to alter my LD_LIBRARY_PATH before invoking a game.

For example with doom3 I actually made a directory called lib32 and linked in the right files. My startup script looks like this

#!/bin/sh
/usr/bin/pactl suspend-sink alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo 1
cd "/usr/local/games/doom3/"
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/games/doom3/lib32:/usr/lib32:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:.
./doom.x86 "$@"
/usr/bin/pactl suspend-sink alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo 0

The contents of /usr/local/games/doom3/lib32 is 3 soft links.
libGLcore.so.1 -> /usr/lib32/libnvidia-glcore.so.295.20
libGL.so.1 -> /usr/lib32/nvidia/libGL.so.1
libnvidia-tls.so.1 -> /usr/lib32/libnvidia-tls.so.295.20

If you use the pulse audio stuff, you'll need to alter it for your sound card, probably ( pactl stat | grep 'Default Sink' ).
rhodry
Level 4
Level 4

Re: LMDE 201204 and nVidia 295.40 - 32bit OpenGL not working

Post by rhodry »

Don't know about v295.20, but serious 3D performance regressions in v295.40 drivers are a known issue at nVidia; there are plenty of Linux blog references about it ( do a search).

The strong consensus seems to be NOT to use them. I don't use "meta" method for drivers so I am unsure how to 'downgrade' them but using smxi/sgfxi on all forms of Debian installs makes this a breeze ( a simple install parameter).

rhodry.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Return to “LMDE Archive”