Can only log in "Gnome classic" after update

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
dimi

Can only log in "Gnome classic" after update

Post by dimi »

I did the mintupdate via update manager. As I read here now, that wasn't a good idea, lesson learnt. ;)
After the update, which popped up some errors, cannot remember which ones, I can only log in "Gnome classic".
I removed (purge) the 3.2 kernel and re-installed it via apt-get. And I did the same for the mintupdate. I also installed cinnamon and mate.
Now I can only log in with Mate or Gnome Classic. Cinnamon or the regular Gnome gives an error, saying it has run into an unresolvable error. I have an installation in Dutch, not sure if it is useful to post the error message here.

I am kind of stuck as to how to troubleshoot this. So any help is greatly appreciated.
I've Googled and looked on the forum here, but haven't found anything that works for me.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zerozero

Re: Can only log in "Gnome classic" after update

Post by zerozero »

the problem is not mintupdate (no need to remove it and reinstall it again) neither is the new kernel (so the same: no need to remove and reinstall it), that "error" is graphics card related: cinnamon and gnome-shell are depending on 3D acceleration, not mate and gnome-classic.

so, check your drivers (are they installed at all? are they properly installed?) check the graphics card, the problem comes from there.
dimi

Post by dimi »

Code: Select all

$ inxi -Gx
Graphics:  Card ATI Manhattan [Mobility Radeon HD 5400 Series] X.Org 1.11.4 Res: 1366x768@59.9hz 
           GLX Renderer ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5400 Series  GLX Version 1.4 (2.1 (4.2.11318 Compatibility Profile Context)) Direct Rendering No
Not sure how to check my drivers.
I installed the AMD Catalyst™ Proprietary Display Driver - Linux x86 & Linux x86_64 from http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/l ... linux.aspx. But that didn't change anything.
Not sure what else to try. Any help is appreciated.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

see the end of the output of the inxi -Gx, it says "direct rendering no" - that is bad news, in order to have 3D acceleration it has to say "yes"

the problem is, you are using ATI and i have no experience at all with it (only nvidia here), so someone else has to come in and help you. :(
dimi

Post by dimi »

OK, thanks!
I'll look around a bit more. But appart from the AMD Catalyst driver I haven't found anything.
äxl

Post by äxl »

dimi, what documentation did you follow?
dimi

Post by dimi »

I didn't follow any documentation, just downloaded and installed the drivers.
I guess it would have been a better idea to remove the current drivers first.

BTW. I just noticed it says Yes to Direct Rendering now. But still can only log in with Mate.

$ inxi -Gx
Graphics:  Card ATI Manhattan [Mobility Radeon HD 5400 Series] X.Org 1.11.4 Res: 1366x768@59.9hz 
           GLX Renderer ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5400 Series  GLX Version 4.2.11566 Compatibility Profile Context Direct Rendering Yes
ale_ngr

Post by ale_ngr »

Hi, same problem.
All good till one hour ago,after reboot can only log in gnome classic and mate.
Trying to log in cinnamon or shell starts automatically gnome classic. :?
Even worse any video player shows a black screen during movies playback (audio and web-streaming video are ok)

may be a loss of 3D acceleration, probably a graphic driver issue, i could have bleachBitted something away by mistake....

~ $ inxi -Gx
Graphics:  Card Intel N10 Family Integrated Graphics Controller X.Org 1.11.4 Res: 1024x768@75.1hz 
           GLX Renderer Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe GLX Version 2.1 Mesa 7.11.2 Direct Rendering Yes
direct rendering is fine ...
any suggestion?
if anybody out there has any idea on how to restore problematic graphic drivers would be great.

thanx and good luck

Return to “LMDE Archive”