Security updates in Incoming?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
jackmcbarn

Security updates in Incoming?

Post by jackmcbarn »

How well are security updates delivered to Incoming versus Latest?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zerozero

Re: Security updates in Incoming?

Post by zerozero »

jackmcbarn

Post by jackmcbarn »

That covers LMDE security in general, but it doesn't say whether Incoming is any different than Latest.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

clearly you read the topic to fast :D
point 3)
- to help debugging those updates were created incoming and latest: basically these repos are identical, but incoming is updated a few days/a week before latest to test the UP and then it will migrate from incoming to latest:
jackmcbarn

Post by jackmcbarn »

Okay, that's good to hear. There isn't any special treatment given to Latest security-wise, though, is there?
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

what Clem said several times about this was that if and when a security issue was found (and outside the normal UP frequency) a special push could be made by the team.

this means of course that a real vulnerability has to be identified first, it's not like " i have version x.1 of foo and upstream already has x.2"
jackmcbarn

Post by jackmcbarn »

Would the "special push" ever end up in Latest before it's in Incoming, though? That's what my main concern is, since I know the equivalent happens in Debian sometimes.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

it never happened until now, so this is just my opinion, but i don't think that such a push should need incoming to be tested, it would make all the sense to be pushed directly to latest.
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

I think that the 'special push' would go to both incoming and latest at the same time, unless they use incoming to test it (or maybe romeo?), which I don't think would happen (again, maybe romeo?).
jackmcbarn

Post by jackmcbarn »

But it would never go to Latest before going to Incoming? I know it almost sounds stupid for that to happen, but again, I know Debian does that kind of thing.

Return to “LMDE Archive”