Network Manager only works for one user

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
kseise

Network Manager only works for one user

Post by kseise »

I have a laptop with two users. The first user created has permission to change wireless networks with nm-applet. The second user is constantly prompted for their sudo password. The second user can not change networks at all. is there a group permission which needs to be set or something?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
non-portable

Re: Network Manager only works for one user

Post by non-portable »

There's something weird going on with NetworkManager and the new policykit. For me at least, I require system level network manager config, not user level. So my connections are stored in /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/.

You could try adding the user to the group netdev and logging in again. If that doesn't work, try creating a file

/etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/00-local-networkmanager.pkla

and filling it with

[Adding or changing system-wide NetworkManager connections]
Identity=unix-group:netdev
Action=org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.settings.modify.system
ResultAny=no
ResultInactive=no
ResultActive=yes

You could use 'Identity=unix-user:jane' in place of 'Identity=unix-group:netdev'. Then you need to restart policykit and maybe log in again or reboot.

That seems to get past some of the issues for me but it's a bit of a kludge.

There's an interesting page here:

http://blog.mmassonnet.info/2011/05/cha ... -user.html
kseise

Post by kseise »

Thanks, I tried adding her to the netdev group, but that didn't work. I will try the hack you mentioned, but I am curious to know if the updates to policykit will fix this when it roles out or if i am making a change I might regret in the future.
non-portable

Post by non-portable »

That's a good question and not an easy one to answer. In my opinion, adding config is probably less nasty than looking for other repositories with higher versions or a multitude of other things you could do. Even if you forget about that config, it might not be problematic because the config is additive in nature but these things bite you in the ass when you are not looking.

One thing you could check is whether your connections are set up as system level (available to all users) and whether you can delete them, make user level config and whether that works for both of you but it's a bit more faffing around.

Return to “LMDE Archive”