broken packages after installing ppa's

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dude-man

broken packages after installing ppa's

Post by dude-man »

Its my own mistake, but I'd like to fix some broken packages after installing some ppa's from kxstudio.

I'm getting this error

Code: Select all

E: /var/cache/apt/archives/ia32-libs_1%3a2.7ubuntu26.2+nojack1~lucid3_amd64.deb: trying to overwrite '/lib32/libpcre.so.3.12.1', which is also in package ia32-libs-gtk 20120102
is there a simple way to fix this...

thanks
Neil
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
craigevil

Re: broken packages after installing ppa's

Post by craigevil »

yes remove all of the packages you installed from the ppa. Ubuntu and Debian are not compatible.

Sent from my MOTWX435KT using Tapatalk 2
craigevil

Post by craigevil »

yes remove all of the packages you installed from the ppa. Ubuntu and Debian are not compatible.

Sent from my MOTWX435KT using Tapatalk 2
tiliqua

Post by tiliqua »

Use ppa-purge to remove the ppas and revert to the official packages.
From WEB UPD8 (http://www.webupd8.org/2012/02/how-to-u ... emove.html)
How to purge a PPA
Purging a PPA means not only to disable the PPA, but also to downgrade any packages you've upgraded from that PPA, to the version available in the official Ubuntu repositories.

how to purge a PPA Ubuntu

Here's an example: let's say you've added the Unity Staging PPA in Ubuntu 12.04 and upgraded to the latest Unity from trunk. Something goes wrong and you want to go back to the Unity version available in the official Ubuntu 12.04 repositories - in this case, you can use PPA Purge to purge the Unity Staging PPA and all the packages upgraded from this PPA should return to the version available in the official Ubuntu 12.04 repositories.

To be able to purge a PPA, you need to install "ppa-purge":

sudo apt-get install ppa-purge
To purge a PPA, you must use the following command:

sudo ppa-purge ppa:someppa/ppa
For example, to purge the Unity Staging PPA, you would use:

sudo ppa-purge ppa:unity-team/staging
If the 'ppa-purge' command fails for some reason, you can't run 'ppa-purge' again unless you re-enable the PPA - see how to re-enable it above (under "How to disable a PPA").

Purging a PPA can be a bit tricky sometimes, because if a package installed from a PPA doesn't exist in the official Ubuntu repositories, it can't be downgraded and PPA Purge won't remove it either, so you'll have to remove it manually. But the PPA Purge purpose is to restore the original packages from the Ubuntu repositories in case something goes wrong when upgrading some packages from a PPA, and for this purpose, PPA Purge usually works great.

Return to “Software & Applications”