Permission Denied when moving, creating files.

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
francobeemo

Permission Denied

Post by francobeemo »

Hello, I'm using linuxmint 12 and encountered a problem with really slow internet connection. After a week of searching I found this solution:

sudo rmmod -f iwlagn
sudo modprobe iwlagn 11n_disable=1

So to make it permament I found this too:

gksudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/iwlagn-disable11n.conf
options iwlagn 11n_disable=1

But that command won't work, also when i create the file manually on desktop and try to move it to modprobe.d i get permission denied.
help please!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
proxima_centauri

Re: Permission Denied

Post by proxima_centauri »

The command 'gksudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/iwlagn-disable11n.conf' should work in terminal. You should get a dialog box asking for your password and then gedit should open. What happens after hitting enter in terminal?
francobeemo

Post by francobeemo »

Apparently nothing, i get the password confirmation thing but then nothing happens

btw i'm using mint12 lxde and maybe this doesn't matters but in the terminal there's a ~ $ thing before my commands
francobeemo

Post by francobeemo »

Could somebody help please? I really need to get that working...
just found out my brightness adjustment doesn't works either
francobeemo

Post by francobeemo »

There's no faqs about this , none that i can find and understand properly, most of them are for experienced users...so just close this, i'll post again.
francobeemo

Permission Denied when moving, creating files.

Post by francobeemo »

That's it, i can't move files or create them manually inside the "computer" folders. I get a permission denied error.. i cant even delete.
Any ideas of what's wrong?

with this specific file i need to create and modify I've tried doing it with commands like this:

gksudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/iwlagn-disable11n.conf this would suposedly prompt a file file so i can include : options iwlagn 11n_disable=1
but nothing happens, i can just guess there's something wrong with the permissions I have.
proxima_centauri

Re: Permission Denied when moving, creating files.

Please don't fragment threads into separate sections. I have merged the two threads. For whatever reason, if gedit is not working. Try from terminal

Code: Select all

sudo echo options iwlagn 11n_disable=1 >> /etc/modprobe.d/iwlagn-disable11n.conf
francobeemo

Post by francobeemo »

Again, I get permission denied on that command... thank you any ways bro.
Sorry about the post thing, like i wrote before you could have just deleted it, it just seemed nobody would respond so I made a new and clearer post.

So anybody? permission denied on everything.

I was thinking if there is a way to put these two commands on an executable so i dont need to copy paste them into the terminal every time i reebot.

Thanks.
proxima_centauri

Are you sure you are providing the correct password for your user? Your password will not be shown to you as it is typed, make sure it is correct.
Boje

Post by Boje »

proxima_centauri wrote:Are you sure you are providing the correct password for your user? Your password will not be shown to you as it is typed, make sure it is correct.
I have the same problem - I do not get the chance to write my password, only after "sudo <nonsecured-drive-command>"!
mank_in

Post by mank_in »

I am sure gedit not installed by default in LM12 LXDE. Maybe you can use :

Code: Select all

sudo nano /xxxxx/xxxxx
or maybe you can open as root the folder with file manager ( you will find open as root in file manager "tool ")

Return to “Software & Applications”