How to Always Be in Powersaving Mode (for laptops)

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
NarcT

How to Always Be in Powersaving Mode (for laptops)

Post by NarcT »

Hey everyone so I've been a Linux user for years and one thing that always bothered me was bad power managment for laptops whether that may be hot harddrives or the laptop going into performace mode when plugged into ac power. Well this script will alleviate some of those problems if you have a laptop. So here is what we will do.

**Note this tutorial assumes you are using PM-Utils as compared to laptop-mode-tools. If you haven't installed laptop-mode-tools manually then your fine.

1. Copy the power saving scripts from '/usr/lib/pm-utils/power.d/' to '/etc/pm/power.d/'
2. Run my script to change all of the 'false' values to 'disabled' and all of the 'true' values to 'true|false' thus disabling the system to go to performance mode and always staying in power save mode.
3. Enjoy a cooler laptop!

Step 1
To copy the power saving scripts you type:

Code: Select all

sudo cp -r /usr/lib/pm-utils/power.d/* /etc/pm/power.d/
The reason we do this is because the directory /etc/pm/power.d is for us as users to add scripts or modify them to our liking. The original directory is used for a backup in case the system cannot use our modified scripts.

Step 2
You could change these scripts manually but why not use a script to do it instead? All my script does is look for "false)" and change is to "disabled)" and then change the "true)" to "true|false)". The reason behind this is each script is run with the parameter 'script true' or 'script false' when the system goes from power saving mode or to performance mode. We don't want the system to go to performance mode so we can disable the 'script false' statement by replacing 'disabled' into the statement.

#!/bin/bash
#--- Purpose is to modify pm-utils scripts to never go into 
#--- performance mode and always stay in powersave mode

# if [find 'false']
#    change to 'disabled'
# if [find 'true']
#    change to 'true|false'

folder=/etc/pm/power.d/

for file in $(find $folder -name "*")
do
   sed -i s/"[^|]false)"/" disabled)"/g $file
   sed -i s/"true)"/"true|false)"/g $file
done
Step 3
Enjoy a cooler laptop! Also if you use KDE I've noticed a significant difference in performance with KDE 4.8.
bLackJack

Re: How to Always Be in Powersaving Mode (for laptops)

Post by bLackJack »

thanks for the script!
A little something to avoid some errors (sorry for my english, i'm french)

#!/bin/bash
#--- Purpose is to modify pm-utils scripts to never go into 
#--- performance mode and always stay in powersave mode

# if [find 'false']
#    change to 'disabled'
# if [find 'true']
#    change to 'true|false'

folder=/etc/pm/power.d/

for file in $(find "$folder" -name "*")
do
   if [ -d "$file" ]; then