Problem booting graphical mint LXDE 12

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
evil gnome

Problem booting graphical mint LXDE 12

Post by evil gnome »

Hello

Downloaded the iso from the torrent (and checked it from the GRUB, it has no defects).

Okay, I am having this strange problem with LXDE distros. Lubuntu, mint LXDE. these I can't boot into the graphical live CD. only the command-line loads.

EVEN when trying to install on virtualbox, the same problem happens (it is one of these magical problems).

This is what I get after booting Mint (both normal boot, and compatibility mode):
2012-04-23-020802_1280x1024_scrot.png
And this is what I get after I enter "startx" at the command line:
2012-04-23-020823_1280x1024_scrot.png
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
evil gnome

Re: Problem booting graphical mint LXDE 12

Post by evil gnome »

bump
art_mcclure

Post by art_mcclure »

When the inital boot screen comes up, hit 'Tab' to bring up options. Add 'nomodeset' (without quotes), then 'Enter' or F10. On the Ubuntu site, somebody posted a list of all the kernel parameters. Helped a lot. It explains what 'nomodeset' does.
evil gnome

Post by evil gnome »

did what you said
No result again

Looks like I'm doomed. maybe mint 13 will work?

I don't know what is causing the problem. the only LXDE distro that runs fine is peppermint two.
a really weird magical problem
mank_in

Post by mank_in »

Do you try live cd ( with CD media ) or USB media :?:
I have same problem with usb live created with startup disk creator ( same problem in toshiba netbook but no in my desktop ), solution for me is created usb live with unetbootin.
evil gnome

Post by evil gnome »

I use a burned CD for PC install. and both burned CD and iso image for virtualbox install.
johnmd

Post by johnmd »

Hi There
Perhaps for this graphical booting of LXDE version [on some hardware] some extra cheatcodes put in on the kernel line as suggested above for <nomodeset> - you might try also <nodrm> and <no3d> and perhaps a combination of all 3. These allow proper gui botting from live dvd in recent Knoppix versions on my old compaq presario. If not, try google search of "Knoppix and cheatcodes" for a much longer list to try out.
Best wishes, John.
mattytatty

Post by mattytatty »

Hi,
I had a similar problem myself with Mint 12 on an old laptop. The solution I found was to edit the boot command line.
When the boot menu appears:-
press 'e' to edit the boot command.
replace "quiet splash" with acpi=off nomodeset
press F10
It works for me, hope it does for you.

Matt.
matt_da_tiger

Post by matt_da_tiger »

I was having the very same problem described on an old Sony VAIO TR1A Notebook.

"Perhaps for this graphical booting of LXDE version [on some hardware] some extra cheatcodes put in on the kernel line as suggested above for <nomodeset> - you might try also <nodrm> and <no3d> and perhaps a combination of all 3."

recommmended below did the trick. (I did all 3, nomodeset, nodrm and no3d.) I also use GPart to wipe out my drive partitions and did a fresh install using the 3 cheatcodes.

So far so good! Thanks for the help folks! :)

Return to “Software & Applications”