<SOLVED> Install RC or wait and install stable?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
nvx
Level 1
Level 1

<SOLVED> Install RC or wait and install stable?

Post by nvx »

Hey there!

I've been wondering: LMDE is supposed to be a (cyclic) rolling distro -- is it okay for me to reinstall with the stable release (201109), or should I rather wait for the current RC to become stable and reinstall then? Also, would there be any difference between 201109+update and the upcoming stable release?

Best regards,
nvx
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Electroman6913

Re: Install RC or wait and install stable?

Post by Electroman6913 »

I would install the RC the old version is kind of a pain to update. You have to edit the source list file and It just seams to be a little glitchey to get a complete update finished. Once the Install of the RC is finished you can always change the source list to go from testing to stable.
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

While I have done the old install and updated, I wouldn't do it now. You have to change your sources.list and then update to update pack 3, get past the gstreamer problem, and then update to update pack 4. This will probably take at least a day. The stable isos have passed testing and will be out in the next few days, so I'd wait for them. Also, there aren't any show-stopping bugs in the rc, although I would still wait the extra few days for the stable at this point. If you don't care about them getting the official announcement (which isn't recommended), you can download the stable ones that haven't been oficialy announced from here: http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/linuxmint.com/debian/ (download the 201204 isos).
nvx
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nvx »

Thank you both very much for your inputs. I guess I'll wait for the new stable release then -- a couple more days of waiting will hardly do any harm... ;o)

Best regards,
nvx

Return to “LMDE Archive”