Update removed Mint menu with gnome 3

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Fwission

Update removed Mint menu with gnome 3

Post by Fwission »

Well I used the update manager once I installed Linux mint debian. After replacing some configuration files the installer asked I rebooted my computer. Now my desktop is gnome 3 and no more wonderfull mint menu :( . Any way I can get it back besides reinstalling gnome 2 and installing the mint menu?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zerozero

Re: Update removed Mint menu with gnome 3

Post by zerozero »

with gnome3, no way, you either get used to it and say goodbye to mintmenu or or install one of the 2 alternative DE that mint has for you where:
- in mate you can have exactly the same mintmenu, actually mate is the "old" gnome2 reborn :wink: apt install mate-desktop-environmen
- in cinnamon (a fork of gnome3) you can have a very similar menu http://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/applets/view/46 added as an applet
mph426

Post by mph426 »

I too had the same issue. The whole reason I went with Mint is I find Gnome 3 utterly counter productive.

I did a little research, in doing so, i found mate and installed it. But now I'm stuck reconfiguring all over again.

It would have been nice to know how dramatic the change would be from what should be an update, not a total change.

P-L-E-A-S-E Don't abandon the mate project.

Addendum:

I still have not found out why passwords are not being saved for almost everything. No wireless or VPN passwords, not even the group password. ?!?!?
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

it's a radical change, yes, but it's explained in the blog http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1949 and in the update pack info button in mintupdate as well.
and a couple (cinnamon and mate) alternatives are given to the users.

regarding mate, Clem said several times that Mint is committed with its development.
mph426

Post by mph426 »

zerozero,

I guess I need a big flashing red light :oops:

When I went to do the update it didn't say it was an "Update Pack", per se. I don't remember exactly what it said, but it was just a single package. Similar to the RPM based distros that need to update the RPM package itself before continuing. After which there were roughly 1000 packages to install. In retrospect that should have been my clue.

That being said, when a Update Pack is released, or other major change, will it be the same process? That is, a single package, then a boat load? Or, better yet, is there a subscription of sorts that will inform me when an Update Pack has been released?

It'll just take a while to get used to the development and release process used by this distro. I've been using RPM based distros since the early '90s. This is still new to me. I guess you could say in this case, the "bliss of ignorance" == more work(for me). LOL

Thanks for you help, Regards
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

:D the behavior you are describing is related to mintupdate updating itself first when there is a new version of it, then refresh again the repos and then issues the "real" update.

if you're using the Update-Packs and you see a huge amount of pkgs in cue to update :shock: it means a trip to the blog, because certainly a new UP was/is about to be released.

http://blog.linuxmint.com/ in the top right side there's a followus field (with rss, facebook and twitter options) >> see which one works better for you
terdon

Post by terdon »

Hi all, unless I missing something, I have no mint menu in mate. Just the classic GNOME2 menu (Applications + Places). Win+Alt left clicking on the panel (I wish someone could explain to me why that convoluted combination is necessary) gives me no option to add MintMenu either. What gives?

If I try and run mintmenu from the command line I get:

Code: Select all

libmate-panel-applet-2.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Any ideas what I would need to install to get libmate-panel-applet-2.so.1 ?
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

i guess you're not logged into mate, for the description that is gnome-classic (aka fallback-mode >> looks similar to the old gnome2 but in fact is gnome3).
depending on the iso you start with, you might have to install mate (apt install mate-desktop-environment) log out and choose mate at login.
terdon

Post by terdon »

Well, that's embarrassing, you're quite right. Thought I had installed mate but, apparently, I haven't :oops:

Thanks
Daniel_MV

Post by Daniel_MV »

well i've got the same problem.

I'm not a big linux user so for me a great and productive menu is absolutely necessary although I'm learning more and more how to do things by terminal. But the point is, I know gnome 3 has a lot of improvements under the table, but for me the visual matters more since I'm using Linux just for study and Ruby.

I did update Mint by apt-get and got a lot of problems, starting by no gui at all after a reboot, but that was a problem with virtual box, solved, anyway, I don't like this old style gnome menu, reminds me Ubuntu 5, first time I've tried a linux distro.

So I'm downloading Mate right now for a test but I'm thinking about download the ISO and install it again from zero (my repositories were a mess, I downloaded a lot of unnecessary packages)

Considering I'm using the system in a virtual machine, cinnamon is really that heavy? I have a good PC and always run VM's with 1500 MB, I just don't know how the graphics card works in this scenario.

Thanks

Return to “LMDE Archive”