LMDE 64 Cinnamon - 10 second session!!!

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Myself

LMDE 64 Cinnamon - 10 second session!!!

Post by Myself »

Tried the new LMDE 201204 64 Cinnamon and... ...well, I had to search to find what the login for LiveCD was.... ...never seen this on a Linux Mint LiveCd before... ...anyway entered "Mint" and it started... ...for all of 10 seconds. Tried to copy the error message but it refuses to allow copying (!!!!).

"Invalid MIT-Magic cookie -1 keyhost unable to open display ":0"
(it says this 3 times)
x-session manager :3621 Warning cannot open display"."

Then it goes back to login screen

I knew I should have tested the RC version but only so much time in a day.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
non-portable

Re: LMDE 64 Cinnamon - 10 second session!!!

Post by non-portable »

I'm sure you've already checked this but I'll ask on the off-chance. Your home directory isn't read only is it? Or owned by another user?
Myself

Post by Myself »

I was using LiveCD mode. I do have some read only directories on the hard disk.
I have it working now and I am typing this from LMDE 64 Mate session on LiveCD.
About to install it to a partition that presently has Mandriva, which I rarely use as it is so slow.
Myself

Post by Myself »

Cannot install as Gparted only see the hard drive as 'Unallocated' but it does have partitions with other OSs on it which are all working properly. Installer says it cannot see a partition table and asks me if I wish it to set new table (which wipes everything) - No Thanks!

I have noticed this before. Some OSs cannot see the drive partitions and some can. Some OSs not using Gparted can see the partitions but any using Gparted cannot. Strange that Disk Utility can see the partitions.

Minor issue, common to many installers - Installer asks me to set my language to Dutch ( I want UK English which is easy to change anyway) but it automatically tries to set time zone to London and it detects my keyboard as International 105 key when it's 'US 105 key - AltGr dead keys'.
Myself

Post by Myself »

The last OS I installed on that drive was Mandriva and when I just tried to re-install Mandriva it see all the partitions correctly.

'fdisk -l' in Terminal (using LMDE) correctly shows HPFS, NTFS, exFAT, Linux and Linux Swap partitions.

Found this is a search:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... tu-615610/
non-portable

Post by non-portable »

Does it have a primary partition in the middle of an extended partition, like that thread? I hope not, that's scary. I'd be backing up with clonezilla and redoing my disk if I were in that position. Sometimes cfdisk can make better sense

cfdisk -P s /dev/sda

but I've only had to use that years in the past, when drives were transitioning to very large.
Myself

Post by Myself »

Disk Utility in LMDE shows the whole drive as Extended Partition with Linux Swap and Linux Partitions within it.
It shows the NTFS Partition as being separate and then an empty 18446744TB Partition (eh!!!!!!! I wish! I could start selling cloud space!) and it says there are a few bad sectors.

Checked the drive from Windows (chkdsk) and it said there were no errors.

cfdisk -P s /dev/sda says that Windows is on a Primary and Linux/s and Linux Swap are on Logical/s.

I already have a backup of the drive but I may have added some data so will do another Clonezilla as something is not right.
Myself

Post by Myself »

LMDE 201204 Mate runs okay in LiveDVD mode but Cinnamon locks-up after a short time. Panel ( I set it to auto-hide) hides and refuses to come back. Double clicking on any desktop icons does nothing. It just freezes. Keyboard logout results in black screen log-in prompt but it refuses to allow log-in. Only a reboot works.
lwrver

Re: LMDE 32 Mate/Cinnamon - Live install issues

Post by lwrver »

Methinks LMDE-201204 still has a few problems. I had the same "xsession failure" initially, but after several tries it finally logged on successfully to the liveCD session using "mint" as the username. The live session is slow as expected, but seems to be OK otherwise. Install to HDD however is a real challenge. After partitioning the HDD and setting the installation defaults, the Installation starts and progresses normally for about 5 minutes, and then it just locks up during a file copy. It appears to halt in the same place everytime. I previously installed the RC version with no problems, but decided on a fresh install of the final version, because there were still some bugs in the RC version. Anyone have an explanation for this unusual behavior?

Return to “LMDE Archive”