Linux Mint Debian 201204 RC (MATE/Cinnamon & Xfce) released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
roger64
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Linux Mint Debian 201204 RC (MATE/Cinnamon & Xfce) relea

Post by roger64 »

New stable LMDE isos have been...announced. Download links still missing at this hour but I have good hopes. :D
http://community.linuxmint.com/iso
Mutiny32

Post by Mutiny32 »

roger64 wrote:New stable LMDE isos have been...announced. Download links still missing at this hour but I have good hopes. :D
http://community.linuxmint.com/iso
I sorta kinda found the release ISO while snooping around the mirrors. So they're out there; they just haven't been announced yet by clem. :wink:
lKingjr

Post by lKingjr »

just downloaded and installed the "stable" LMDE xfce. it says there are 1084 recommended updates available (769MB). can that possibly be right for a brand new release that isn't officially announced?
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

Lou,
that most certainly isn't right :shock:
have you d/l it from here (note the 201204 and the date of the file >> 23 april 2012
http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/linuxmint.com/debian/?C=M;O=D
lKingjr

Post by lKingjr »

zerozero wrote:Lou,
that most certainly isn't right :shock:
have you d/l it from here (note the 201204 and the date of the file >> 23 april 2012
http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/linuxmint.com/debian/?C=M;O=D
I got it from the university of maryland mirror and the date was 22 april 2012. figures lol. thanks for the link :D
roger64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by roger64 »

Thanks for the link. :D

We now have by default mdm instead of gdm3 and yahoo as a default research engine with Firefox. :D
We now can open Synaptic directly (without password - but with an explanation -).
There is also an open with Mono runtime which takes the place of Wine but probably cannot replace it. Some comments?
selittl

Post by selittl »

I'm going to assume that since I have the RC that with updates since release it is equivalent to the stable iso's just released. Is that right?
toomuchcoffee

Post by toomuchcoffee »

selittl wrote:I'm going to assume that since I have the RC that with updates since release it is equivalent to the stable iso's just released. Is that right?
Nop, and I'd like a definitive answer too, I already changed sources to latest.. do I need to run dist-upgrade? :?
uh.. tried it, didn't upgrade anything... I thought this was supposed to be rollin :?
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

if you have the RC installed and fully updated you are in the same situation as the final isos just released except for 2 things:

- yours sources.list are pointing at incoming (latest in the final): it's up to you to change that or not, incoming and latest are the same for the most part of the time but the Update-Packs come first to incoming to be tested before going to latest (so if you stay with incoming you get the updates first- a week or so- but they are not tested yet >> that's what incoming is for)

- you don't have mdm as your default display manager: once again it's up to you if you change from gdm3 to mdm or not.

apart from that both installations are afaik the same.
selittl

Post by selittl »

Already had changed to latest. Thanks!
toomuchcoffee

Post by toomuchcoffee »

Hmm I think there's more to it. For example synaptic still asks me for my password, I thought the RC would be fully upgraded to final, not just partially..
I already have mdm on my laptop but I installed the RC on my desktop too... how does someone on pack 3 update to pack 4 final? I thought it would be ala Ubuntu (dist-upgrade), I'm new to LMDE and Linux OS's so..
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

wow :shock: what a lot of confusion going here
synaptic still asks me for my password
as it always should ask! the opposite would be a strange symptom.
how does someone on pack 3 update to pack 4 final?
if you installed the RC, you are beyond UP3/UP4 warfare :lol: >> the RC (and the final) include all the updates until UP4.
I thought the RC would be fully upgraded to final
what's the output of

Code: Select all

apt update && apt dist-upgrade
anything to upgrade? no? so you have the same as the final apart from mdm and probably yahoo as default
toomuchcoffee

Post by toomuchcoffee »

I only asked because of this.
roger64 wrote: We now can open Synaptic directly (without password - but with an explanation -).

And I asked about pack3 because I wanted to know if it could be fully upgraded to 4 dist-upgrade style (like you can on Ubuntu).

I see more people around here asking if/how they can update from rc to pack4 final and I just want to know how the update process goes.
I'm indeed a bit confused I admit :oops: .

EDIT:
Installed 201204 final on my desktop and mdm is indeed the only noticeable difference so far and gdm3 was removed. I can't tell any other difference so far.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Will it be a problem if we just keep gdm3? Will there be future updates that could negatively affect gdm3?
Thanks!
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

KBD47 wrote:Will there be future updates that could negatively affect gdm3?
Well, no one expected a new DM that is conflicting with gdm3 and has the same name as some other package, so how could we know what the future may bring? :D
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

^--^ yep :shock:
selittl

Post by selittl »

Will MDM work with gnome 3 and can someone point me in the right direction to remove gdm3 and install MDM ( or do I just do it via the distros?)
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

toomuchcoffee wrote:I only asked because of this.
roger64 wrote: We now can open Synaptic directly (without password - but with an explanation -).

And I asked about pack3 because I wanted to know if it could be fully upgraded to 4 dist-upgrade style (like you can on Ubuntu).

I see more people around here asking if/how they can update from rc to pack4 final and I just want to know how the update process goes.
I'm indeed a bit confused I admit :oops: .

EDIT:
Installed 201204 final on my desktop and mdm is indeed the only noticeable difference so far and gdm3 was removed. I can't tell any other difference so far.
coming back to this, just because :D
- that behavior in synaptic (afaik) you always had: if you start it, it will ask you for the pw and store it for some time (in the good :lol: old gnome2 times there was a key in the panel showing that you were running with adm "powers")

- the confusion about UP3/UP4/RC/final boils down to to a misunderstanding of what is lmde and what are UP:
  • lmde is a rolling release (well, kinda off, but that part is not relevant here :D ) so there's no next release, we are always in release 1 (just issue lsb_release -a and you'll see)
  • UP are nothing more than a big update (sometimes, like with UP4 they have radical changes >> gnome2 to gnome3 but all the other 3 were quiet normal
  • because lmde is a sort of rolling release once in a while is necessary to update the installation media (otherwise the newcomers would be faced right after install with a huge amount of updates) that's what was done in dec/2010/jan2011 apr/2011 sep/2011 and now apr/2012
  • these new isos bring sometimes new features and are very handy for new installs but in some way all those features are made available to the existent systems and there's no reason to reinstall
toomuchcoffee

Post by toomuchcoffee »

Ok, its clear now, I can keep the sources.list to incoming and those who haven't already just have to install MDM and get rid of GDM3 (or not).
foozzi

Post by foozzi »

Excellent!
I hope that you will continue to produce more lmde

Return to “Releases & Announcements”