Linux Mint Debian 201204 released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Linux Mint Debian 201204 released!

Post by clem »

The team is proud to announce the release of LMDE 201204. This release features three of the best Linux desktops available at the moment: The traditional and functional MATE 1.2 desktop, the innovative and beautiful Cinnamon 1.4 and the lightweight and rock-solid Xfce 4.8. Both the MATE/Cinnamon and Xfce editions use the MDM display manager. [...]
Announcement: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1979
/dev/urandom

Re: Linux Mint Debian 201204 released!

Post by /dev/urandom »

azurehi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by azurehi »

I installed LMDE 201204-mate-cinnamon-32bit-rc.iso on 18 Apr 2012 and have applied updates through the update manager. Is my installation the same as the LMDE 201204-mate-cinnamon-dvd-32bit.iso released 24 Apr 2012? Thanks.

I am enjoying LMDE very much!
dennis74

Post by dennis74 »

i have lmde 201109 installed. after the announcement about 201204 i removed gdm3 and installed mdm. this went well.
question: how can i switch from mdm-mint-theme to default mdm-theme ?
selittl

Post by selittl »

azurehi wrote:I installed LMDE 201204-mate-cinnamon-32bit-rc.iso on 18 Apr 2012 and have applied updates through the update manager. Is my installation the same as the LMDE 201204-mate-cinnamon-dvd-32bit.iso released 24 Apr 2012? Thanks.

I am enjoying LMDE very much!
I have the same question. Installed the RC and have applied all updates. Do we now have the same as new LMDE release?
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

selittl wrote:I have the same question. Installed the RC and have applied all updates. Do we now have the same as new LMDE release?
You probably don't have mdm (look here for more info).
Paul_Vandenberg
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Paul_Vandenberg »

dennis74 wrote:i have lmde 201109 installed. after the announcement about 201204 i removed gdm3 and installed mdm. this went well.
question: how can i switch from mdm-mint-theme to default mdm-theme ?
The Mate Control Center has a login window tool. I think you can change it there, though I haven't tried it.
w6kkt
Level 1
Level 1

Post by w6kkt »

I've been using various linux distros for over ten years, and "201204 cinnamon" without a doubt is the best of the best PC operating systems.
Thanks to everyone at Mint.
Intel Pentium G3220
Asrock H81M-ITX mb
8gb PC3 ram
1x samsung 128gb ssd
Samsung dvd burner
Silverstone SG05 ITX case
Jesse (w6kkt)
shengchieh

Post by shengchieh »

I must be blind. How much disk space is needed for LMDE XFCE? I don't see it on the announcement,
release note, or download pages.

I ask because my 701 eee laptop has only 4G. Mint LXDE (I have an old version installed) now needs more than 4G.

Sheng-Chieh
OS2-User
Level 2
Level 2

Post by OS2-User »

First the good news:

For the very first time ever with any Mint version since beginning with Gloria, with LMDE 201204 MATE/Cinnamon my old Cpq Presario 906US laptop doesn't freeze up anymore or awakes with a still turned off LVDS LCD screen after Logout -> Suspend.
Yippy and Heureka! So, whoever is responsible to finally having fixed that long standing nuisance - thank you big time :-)

And now to the bad news:

1.) While LM12 KDE (the Gnome Shell/MGSE version is unusable on my hardware) finally has both, my RT2870 and RT3072 based USB WiFi adapters working for the first time, LMDE-201204, like its predecessor still fails with the RT3072.
According to http://www.h-online.com/open/features/K ... 97480.html
"... RT3072 USB chips has now become a regular component of the rt2800pci and rt2800usb drivers".

'lsusb' shows it as: Bus 005 Device 003: ID 7392:7722 Edimax Technology Co., Ltd EW-7722UTn 802.11n Wireless Adapter [Ralink RT307x]
'lsmod | grep -i rt' lists: rt2800usb with rt2800lib and rt2x00usb with rt2x00lib
However the adapter remains dead in the air and of course also isn't detected by Clem's 'sudo /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintWifi/mintWifi.py'
So, why is the RT3072 not working in LMDE-201204 with kernel 3.2.0-2-486 when it did so nice in LM12 KDE?

*Edit:
I think I now located the problem with LMDE: "sudo modinfo rt2800usb | grep 7392" still doesn't list my adapter's product-ID 7722 for this driver, thus not loading it. So, now where/how do I get a driver for LMDE as up to date as the one being used in LM12 KDE?

2.) Is the Live-DVD supposed to boot through directly into MATE, which it does mostly or supposed to stop with MDM to allow a choice between MATE and Cinnamon (happens only occasionally)?

Graphics: Card ATI RS100 [Radeon IGP320M] X.org 1.11.4 ; Kernel driver in use: radeon
When switching to Cinnamon, I end up with an, other than the normal looking wallpaper, completely empty Desktop and working mouse pointer in console #7. Then switching to f.e. #2 and back to #7, I then find a black screen in some sort of 48 lines text mode, where I can type stuff similar to a text editor, but nothing happens, while in console #8 I now suddenly have a bottom panel (not quite sitting at the very bottom), which could be Cinnamon (never saw a working one yet), a moving mouse pointer and an otherwise totally black screen. And of course nothing in that panel (Menu, FF, Terminal, Nautilus, Network, Calendar) responds to any kind of mouse/touchpad clicks/taps.
When I then try f.e. in console #2: 'cinnamon --replace' it says: 'Window manager error: Unable to open X display'

And console #1 keeps repeating:
“XIO: fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server “:0″ after 7 requests (7 known processed) with 0 events remaining.

Fatal server error:
Server is already active for display 0
If this server is no longer running, remove /tmp/.X0-lock and start again.

Please consult the X.Org Foundation support @ …. for help”

Soooo, can anybody make any sense out of those strange things happening here and give me some advice?
Last edited by OS2-User on Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:40 pm, edited 4 times in total.
roger64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by roger64 »

Hi

I had these last messages too about LiveCD "fatal error" when I closed the computer at the end of the install and my install is perfectly good. I think it's related to Live support. When your distro has been installed on the disk and your live support is erased, you get this warning. Reboot and you start up with your new LMDE and these messages should be gone.

Other than that, sorry, I have Nvidia and your ATI is a different beast...
animaguy

Post by animaguy »

Can anyone tell me if any of these desktops and this new version can be supported on a 1gb ram laptop?
shengchieh

Post by shengchieh »

These two links should answer animaguy's question.

http://www.distrotips.com/linux-mint/li ... ments.html
http://www.technobaboy.com/2011/11/30/l ... uirements/

Again, I only have a 4GB on my 701 eee laptop. Does the XFCE version needs less disk space than the GNOME version?

Sheng-Chieh
animaguy

Post by animaguy »

shengchieh wrote:These two links should answer animaguy's question.

http://www.distrotips.com/linux-mint/li ... ments.html
http://www.technobaboy.com/2011/11/30/l ... uirements/

Again, I only have a 4GB on my 701 eee laptop. Does the XFCE version needs less disk space than the GNOME version?

Sheng-Chieh
Thanks!
fsimerey

Post by fsimerey »

I try to install LMDE 64 bits - MATE-Cinnamon.

I can boot in live (via USB key) BUT the mouse click doesn't work.
I can move cursor over the desktop, but no one of the buttons is working... Keyboard have no action too.
I wouldn't try to burn a dvd if i have the same problem.

My computer works fine with Mint 12 and Mate.

Thanks for reply.
OS2-User
Level 2
Level 2

Post by OS2-User »

fsimerey wrote:I try to install LMDE 64 bits - MATE-Cinnamon.
I can boot in live (via USB key) BUT the mouse click doesn't work.
I can move cursor over the desktop, but no one of the buttons is working... Keyboard have no action too.
That pretty much mirrors what I am seeing here with the 32-bit version as well, using a DVD, assuming I get to see the bottom panel at all, but then the rest of the screen is black with no wallpaper.
On other tries I am getting the wallpaper, but no panel and no icons, which is the same what I already experienced a half year back with LM12 Gnome/MGSE.
It also doesn't really help, that touchpad "tap to click" and "2-finger scrolling" is disabled per default in LMDE.

Good to know, that I am not alone in this sad situation - even though that doesn't really help ;-)

I am curiously - and a bit impatient - waiting for the explanation of this issue and a fix or workaround.
fsimerey

Post by fsimerey »

OS2-User wrote:That pretty much mirrors what I am seeing here with the 32-bit version as well, using a DVD, assuming I get to see the bottom panel at all, but then the rest of the screen is black with no wallpaper.
On other tries I am getting the wallpaper, but no panel and no icons, which is the same what I already experienced a half year back with LM12 Gnome/MGSE.
It also doesn't really help, that touchpad "tap to click" and "2-finger scrolling" is disabled per default in LMDE.

Good to know, that I am not alone in this sad situation - even though that doesn't really help ;-)

I am curiously - and a bit impatient - waiting for the explanation of this issue and a fix or workaround.
Thanks for info anyway ;)
melbo

Post by melbo »

Love it!!

Any quick way to get Husse terminal fortunes back in Cinnamon?
Lenny Dawson

Post by Lenny Dawson »

I tried an earlier release of Mint Debian but it wasn't quite there so I waited and tried the 201204 - Cinnamon release.

It ticks all the boxes and I'd like to congratulate you on a superb job.

I have mixed feelings as I start to upgrade my collection of computers. It means GG (Goodbye to Gloria) which has served me well since it was released. It's a sad fact of computing that we have to move forward, sometimes for no gain, and sometimes actually losing one thing in order to maintain another. This release appears to be all gains and worth the effort.

I always look at CompizConfig program. It never seems to do anything useful (i.e. work) and most of the settings appear to be for people who have nothing better to do than fiddle around. Maybe this could be an optional download - I can't imagine who would bother.

Thanks again

Lenny :D

Test Machine:
Compaq Presario R3000 Laptop
Memory upgraded to 756Mbyte
Hard disk 120 Gb
Addition of PCM Linksys Wireless card causes system to hang (no big deal)
Hairman

Post by Hairman »

This a question. Please note I am quite new. I bought the Debian 6.0.4, 32 bit install, with the 8 disc repository. I was wondering if the repository would work for this Mint edition? I have tried to use the repos. for other Debian based OS' and I had no luck. Is there another way to do this other than the usual way of adding discs when the gui requests it. I don't yet know how to use the terminal fully. Rather , i don't know all of the different commands or when to use them. I went to the OS' resource system, or file, and clicked on that I have other discs to add to repos. I put in the disc on command, and the machine could not recognize the discs. I do apologize if I am using the wrong place to ask this question. Regards, Hairman.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”