Mint-Xtra - updated icon theme for Mint

Submit your artwork to make Linux Mint look better
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Mint-Xtra - updated icon theme for Mint

Post by Monsta »

bimsebasse wrote:My shady ulterior motive is to have this merged with Mint-X for Mint 13 or 14, I just gotta present it on the mint-x github page and take it from there.
Thanks for this icon set. Any news about the mentioned merging? :)
cwwgateway wrote:I love the icons, although the mint tools don't seem to have new icons (I might have to reboot). If it makes any difference, I'm running LMDE.
There's a folder named MintApps in the archive, and there's a document about changing the mint tools' icons inside. Here's what it says:
These 5 Mint apps won't change icons when you change icon theme, you'll have to do that manually.

Navigate as root to usr/lib/linuxmint/

In "usr/lib/linuxmint/mintBackup" rename "icon.png" and "icon.svg" and paste the "icon.png" and "icon.svg" from the downloaded mintBackup folder into the usr/lib/linuxmint/mintBackup folder.

In "usr/lib/linuxmint/mintInstall" rename "icon.svg" and replace with the "icon.svg" from the downloaded mintInstall folder same way as above. This you have to do for all five folders, same procedure.

Reload the shell to see the effect.
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

Sorry, I realized that last night at about 11 pm, but I was too tired to try it. I tried it a few minutes ago, though, and everything worked. Great theme. Unfortunately, I don't think that the merging is going along well (I looked at the github page and Mint-X hasn't been updated in a long time and bimsebasse's issue hasn't had any comments on it). Bimsebasse might have more details, though.
toomuchcoffee

Post by toomuchcoffee »

It changes many icons but... not the folders?
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

The folders are more or less what identifies Mint-X, if I changed the folders it wouldn't be an updated Mint-X, it would be a different theme.
toomuchcoffee

Post by toomuchcoffee »

bimsebasse wrote:The folders are more or less what identifies Mint-X, if I changed the folders it wouldn't be an updated Mint-X, it would be a different theme.
They identify mint because they are green but they do look a bit old and out of place compared to everything else, its just an opinion.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

I don't particularly like them either and use different folders myself, but my aim with Mint-Xtra is not to create my favourite icon theme but to update Mint-X since it isn't updated by anyone else :)
outfieldgrass

Post by outfieldgrass »

Thank you for this icon theme. The blurry volume icon had been bugging me for awhile and I finally got around to figuring out how to fix it. Then I found this. Amazing.
xtremo

Post by xtremo »

Great work.....many thanks!
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Thanks bimsebasse,

It was painful to merge (I'd much prefer small incremental github commits tbh) and some icons didnt' make it in (mostly the Apple looking silver buttons and the archive icons), but overall it's a fantastic improvement over the original Mint-X. Many thanks for this amazing work.

https://github.com/linuxmint/mint-x-ico ... its/master

Clem.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

Wow, what a chain of commits :) thank you!

I also see a commit with a new icon in mintInstall repo. Are there any plans for other 4 apps? :)
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

I think this is really great. Linux Mint 14 seems to have lots of improvements, specifically to things like the software manager and the icon themes that weren't updated in Mint 12/13 due to the Gnome 3 fiasco.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

clem wrote:Thanks bimsebasse,

It was painful to merge (I'd much prefer small incremental github commits tbh) and some icons didnt' make it in (mostly the Apple looking silver buttons and the archive icons), but overall it's a fantastic improvement over the original Mint-X. Many thanks for this amazing work.

Clem.
Awesome, I'll get to testing right away. Feels good to contribute instead of just nagging :)
Asimov

Post by Asimov »

@ bimsebasse

I'm working on this set: http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/ ... ent=102435

But the desktop don't accept automatically my icons for this applications
  • mintBackup
    Mintnanny
    hardinfo
    mintInstall
    mintUpload
    stopwatch
    gnome-power-statistics ?
    mintwelcome
    gnome-system-log
Did you find a solution for theses ?

How did you find the names for the icons ?

P.S Nice work!
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

mintBackup
Mintnanny
hardinfo
mintInstall
mintUpload
That's explained in the first post I think - these programs (and others, Unetbootin etc.) come with their own icon and you have to change them manually one by one in their system folders.

@ names for icons: not sure what you mean?
Asimov

Post by Asimov »

bimsebasse wrote:
mintBackup
Mintnanny
hardinfo
mintInstall
mintUpload
That's explained in the first post I think - these programs (and others, Unetbootin etc.) come with their own icon and you have to change them manually one by one in their system folders.
/quote]

I was thinking a more permanent solution that could be put inside a Debian package.
bimsebasse wrote:@ names for icons: not sure what you mean?
Just try to do an icon for Ark. ark.png or ark.svg., won't work. The problem is not the extension, the problem is "ark" is not the name to use. For example the standard name of the icon for Midnight-Commander is MidnightCommander. The uppercases are an obligation for this application, otherwise your icon won't be accept.
Asimov

Post by Asimov »

clem wrote:Thanks bimsebasse,

Clem.
I'm actually extending this icons set: http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/?content=102435,

But because the all thing depend heavily on symb-links, because is not simply an icons set. there is templates icons and the active icons. Because you cant create new icons set with it:Image

I don't know could be a solution for me. I never have use Git
highwind

Post by highwind »

It seems work for me.
I just place unpacked folder into ~/.icons/ and restart cinnamon.

Return to “Your Artwork”