[SOLVED] Samba not working after UP4 and LMDE 201204

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
simonz

[SOLVED] Samba not working after UP4 and LMDE 201204

Post by simonz »

Recently Samba got broken after Update 4. Here are the symptoms: After rebooting. the Samba shares are invisible to the Windows clients. But then running "sudo /etc/init.d/samba restart" the clients can now access the Samba shares. This behavior started after UP4 a few weeks ago and now continues on with the latest LMDE 201204 edition.

This is a show stopper as I this is a server application which is useless if the the clients cant access the Samba shares after a reboot.

Has anyone seen this behavior or have a fix for it?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Samba not working after UP4 and LMDE 201204

Post by altair4 »

This sounds very reminiscent of a problem Ubuntu / Mint had years ago. The problem back then was that the nmbd daemon would start before the network on the server was up and fail. Without nmbd the netbios name of the server was not presented to the LAN.

I offered a workaround for this back then and it might still work:

Create a file:

Code: Select all

gksu gedit /etc/network/if-up.d/samba-restart
With this content:

#!/bin/sh
/etc/init.d/samba restart
Save the file and make it executable:

sudo chmod +x /etc/network/if-up.d/samba-restart
Any script placed in if-up.d will run only after the network is up.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
simonz

Re: Samba not working after UP4 and LMDE 201204

Post by simonz »

Altair,

That was precisely the problem. For some reason, the network stack on my computer is slow to come up.

It tried your fix and it worked perfectly.

thanks!
rmassey

Re: [SOLVED] Samba not working after UP4 and LMDE 201204

Post by rmassey »

Many thanks, Altair. I've been trying to find a fix for this ever since the upgrade.

Return to “LMDE Archive”