LMDE BREAKAGES - tracking TESTING

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Chris M

Re: LMDE BREAKAGES - tracking TESTING - updated 12 Mar

Post by Chris M »

The 32-bit kernel was updated today from linux-image-3.2.0-2-686-pae_3.2.12-1_i386 to linux-image-3.2.0-2-686-pae_3.2.14-1_i386. When I updated and upgraded, I got the following errors:

Code: Select all

The following packages will be upgraded:
  linux-image-3.2.0-2-686-pae
1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0 B/22.8 MB of archives.
After this operation, 17.4 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
Reading changelogs... Done
Preconfiguring packages ...
(Reading database ... 190945 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace linux-image-3.2.0-2-686-pae 3.2.12-1 (using .../linux-image-3.2.0-2-686-pae_3.2.14-1_i386.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement linux-image-3.2.0-2-686-pae ...
Examining /etc/kernel/postrm.d .
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postrm.d/initramfs-tools 3.2.0-2-686-pae /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-2-686-pae
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postrm.d/zz-extlinux 3.2.0-2-686-pae /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-2-686-pae
P: Checking for EXTLINUX directory... found.
P: Writing config for /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-2-686-pae...
P: Writing config for Microsoft Windows XP Professional on /dev/sda1...
E: /usr/share/syslinux/themes/debian/extlinux: No such file or directory
run-parts: /etc/kernel/postrm.d/zz-extlinux exited with return code 1
Failed to process /etc/kernel/postrm.d at /var/lib/dpkg/info/linux-image-3.2.0-2-686-pae.postrm line 212.
dpkg: warning: subprocess old post-removal script returned error exit status 1
dpkg - trying script from the new package instead ...
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postrm.d/initramfs-tools 3.2.0-2-686-pae /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-2-686-pae
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postrm.d/zz-extlinux 3.2.0-2-686-pae /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-2-686-pae
Failed to process /etc/kernel/postrm.d at /var/lib/dpkg/tmp.ci/postrm line 212.
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/linux-image-3.2.0-2-686-pae_3.2.14-1_i386.deb (--unpack):
 subprocess new post-removal script returned error exit status 1
configured to not write apport reports
P: Writing config for /boot/vmlinuz-liquorix...
Failed to process /etc/kernel/postrm.d at /var/lib/dpkg/tmp.ci/postrm line 212.
dpkg: error while cleaning up:
 subprocess new post-removal script returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
 /var/cache/apt/archives/linux-image-3.2.0-2-686-pae_3.2.14-1_i386.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
There was a similar issue recently for dcihon in the SID thread (starting on SID Breakages page 42) .

I tried to force it, but no go. In synaptic, I got: E: /var/cache/apt/archives/linux-image-3.2.0-2-686-pae_3.2.14-1_i386.deb: subprocess new post-removal script returned error exit status 1

Synaptic got stuck: E: The package linux-image needs to be reinstalled, but I can't find an archive for it.

Tried to remove 3.2.0-2-686-pae a number of ways, but it got stuck. The system insisted on a reinstall, but would not take the reinstall. This helped: apt-get how to fix very broken packages - and it unstuck synaptic.

I ran to SMXI and ended up installing the latest liquorix kernel (backup kernel), and then was able to remove the linux pae kernel, and reinstall it in SMXI. But my system is still broken. DU produces:

3 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? Y
Setting up linux-image-3.2.0-14.dmz.1-liquorix-686 (3.2.0-19) ...
Running depmod.
Examining /etc/kernel/postinst.d.
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/dkms 3.2.0-14.dmz.1-liquorix-686 /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-14.dmz.1-liquorix-686
dkms.conf: Error! No 'BUILT_MODULE_NAME' directive specified for record #0.
Error! Bad conf file.
File: 
does not represent a valid dkms.conf file.
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/initramfs-tools 3.2.0-14.dmz.1-liquorix-686 /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-14.dmz.1-liquorix-686
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-3.2.0-14.dmz.1-liquorix-686
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/pm-utils 3.2.0-14.dmz.1-liquorix-686 /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-14.dmz.1-liquorix-686
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/zz-extlinux 3.2.0-14.dmz.1-liquorix-686 /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-14.dmz.1-liquorix-686
P: Writing config for /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-14.dmz.1-liquorix-686...
run-parts: /etc/kernel/postinst.d/zz-extlinux exited with return code 1
Failed to process /etc/kernel/postinst.d at /var/lib/dpkg/info/linux-image-3.2.0-14.dmz.1-liquorix-686.postinst line 774.
dpkg: error processing linux-image-3.2.0-14.dmz.1-liquorix-686 (--configure):
 subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
Setting up linux-image-3.2.0-2-686-pae (3.2.14-1) ...
                                      Running depmod.
Examining /etc/kernel/postinst.d.
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/dkms 3.2.0-2-686-pae /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-2-686-pae
dkms.conf: Error! No 'BUILT_MODULE_NAME' directive specified for record #0.
Error! Bad conf file.
File: 
does not represent a valid dkms.conf file.
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/initramfs-tools 3.2.0-2-686-pae /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-2-686-pae
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-3.2.0-2-686-pae
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/pm-utils 3.2.0-2-686-pae /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-2-686-pae
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/zz-extlinux 3.2.0-2-686-pae /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-2-686-pae
P: Writing config for /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-14.dmz.1-liquorix-686...
run-parts: /etc/kernel/postinst.d/zz-extlinux exited with return code 1
Failed to process /etc/kernel/postinst.d at /var/lib/dpkg/info/linux-image-3.2.0-2-686-pae.postinst line 696.
dpkg: error processing linux-image-3.2.0-2-686-pae (--configure):
 subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of linux-image-686-pae:
 linux-image-686-pae depends on linux-image-3.2.0-2-686-pae; however:
  Package linux-image-3.2.0-2-686-pae is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing linux-image-686-pae (--configure):
 dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
                                                                            Errors were encountered while processing:
 linux-image-3.2.0-14.dmz.1-liquorix-686
 linux-image-3.2.0-2-686-pae
 linux-image-686-pae
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
It's not a disaster, but it'll require a re-installation. The kernel Borkage is too baked into the cake.

Is anyone else having a problem with this minor kernel update?
GregE

Post by GregE »

Hi Chris,

Just a suggestion - rather that a re-install I would just get the latest Liquorix, which is now 3.3, boot into it and remove all the Debian kernels and headers and simply wait. As long as the Liquorix kernels function correctly for you this hiccup should pass.You might have to manually clean up /boot (carefully) and maybe some folders in /lib. But I would leave it alone unless there are residual problems. And then run sudo apt-get clean. If you can run Liquorix and update without errors then I would just wait it out.

Go to Liquorix and add the repo and set it up so Liquorix updates through the normal mechanism.

http://liquorix.net/

:)
Chris M

Post by Chris M »

Hey there, Greg. Thanks for that. One thing I'll say is that every time I get into trouble and reach for something new - like SMXI and now Liquorix - I learn a little more. This is the 2nd time in the last year I've been " " far away from reinstalling, but been saved at the very last moment.

A google search for Failed to process /etc/kernel/postrm.d at /var/lib/dpkg/info, led me here: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=75566
I installed syslinux-themes-debian and now everything is back to normal :D
I just recently removed memtest, and removing memtest also removed syslinux-themes-debian. This is the 2nd time removing memtest has screwed me up. I think I'll leave it alone (memtest shows up in grub).

All's well.

Thanks, though. I definitely see some performance gain booting up into Liquorix. But even on this machine with 2 gigs of memory (and a decent graphics card), I'm seriously considering a jump to 64-bit (maybe in Liquorix too). Thanks again.
äxl

Post by äxl »

So you can't rid of the Liquorix kernel once installed? :D
viking777

Post by viking777 »

I just recently removed memtest, and removing memtest also removed syslinux-themes-debian
No need to do that to clean up grub. Just install grub-customizer, start it up and remove the tick from the box labelled 'memtest' then you never see it again and it doesn't interfere with any kernel upgrades.

It does a lot of other good things as well - have a look if you want to.
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

viking777 wrote:................... Just install grub-customizer, start it up and remove the tick from the box labelled 'memtest' then you never see it again and it doesn't interfere with any kernel upgrades.

It does a lot of other good things as well - have a look if you want to.
I really like this app.
+1 :mrgreen:
Last edited by GeneC on Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris M

Post by Chris M »

Viking and Gene, thanks for that. If we never ran into any issues with Debian, we wouldn't learn very much.
äxl wrote:So you can't rid of the Liquorix kernel once installed? :D
I have both installed now. It's like having an old kernel installed. I haven't tried uninstalling it yet (and I may not), but I'm assuming you could boot into the standard kernel provided by Debian, and then uninstall Liquorix like you would an old kernel.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

Chris M wrote:Viking and Gene, thanks for that. If we never ran into any issues with Debian, we wouldn't learn very much.
äxl wrote:So you can't rid of the Liquorix kernel once installed? :D
I have both installed now. It's like having an old kernel installed. I haven't tried uninstalling it yet (and I may not), but I'm assuming you could boot into the standard kernel provided by Debian, and then uninstall Liquorix like you would an old kernel.
i's been a loooong time i don't use liquorix (i tried one 2.35 build and wasn't nothing special and then the update to a 2.37 couldn't build the broadcom drivers, so i gave up on it) but yeahh uninstall it is easy (as long as it's properly installed :wink: ) << and this was in the last deep-freeze time, when we were stuck in an old .32 kernel for months, since then we can't complain (probably some will say that we have to many kernel updates in the cycle :lol: )

from june on it's probably time to look again into liquorix.
GregE

Post by GregE »

Hi Everyone,

Just to clarify the use of Liquorix kernels. Liquorix kernels are third party kernels that are specifically written for Debian. They are configured and optimised for the home PC rather that a server. They use the BFS scheduler. If you are a gamer then you should at least try them. If your computer does little more than surf the web and run LibreOffice then you would never notice any difference. They are like any other kernel from the normal channels in that they can be installed or removed via normal methods (once you add the Liquorix repository to your apt sources.list).

I am currently running a 3.3 Liquorix kernel and have all other kernels removed. Everything runs and updates come through as they should.

If you are curious or want to jump to a newer kernel then by all means install Liquorix. Often the version numbers with Sid are the same and differences are minor. Liqourix kernels can be removed any time as long as it is not the currently running kernel. That rule is the same for all kernels.

The most important thing is that everyone here now knows they exist and an alternative is available if you have issues with the mainline kernels. In the past I have had issues with Liquorix and my notebook, and at other times they have solved issues. At one time I could not suspend/resume with a normal kernel but could with Liquorix, then that problem went away.

Liquorix kernels are a nice alternative to have when things go wrong, and some people never use anything else.
Brian49

Post by Brian49 »

GregE - Do you happen to know why the installed size of a Liquorix kernel image is noticeably larger than that of a standard kernel image, please (138Mb against 107Mb for the 64-bit versions on my system)? Many thanks.
GregE

Post by GregE »

Brian49 wrote:GregE - Do you happen to know why the installed size of a Liquorix kernel image is noticeably larger than that of a standard kernel image, please (138Mb against 107Mb for the 64-bit versions on my system)? Many thanks.
I have never noticed that. I have no knowledge of the reason. I have a good guess though. Debian has a policy of not allowing any non-free code in the default install, and perhaps that does not matter to Liquorix.
gcp

Post by gcp »

...and if you want to try the very very latest kernel,
then i can recommend the aptosid kernel.
It does not use the BFS-Scheduler, if you dont like it.

This one is updated only hours after Linus announces a new kernel
and is updated in a fast rate, because of newest fixes.
Just install 2 packages:
The header and, only after success, the image package appropriate to your system architecture.
ftp://ftp.spline.de/pub/aptosid/debian/pool/main/l/linux-aptosid/
For a changelog look into the file *_multi.changes.

But my main kernel is Liquorix too.
Its the most stable and best working kernel...

And so i have 3 different kernels on my system (LMDE SID),
Debian, Liquorix, Aptosid
because ... with debian we can do that. :lol:
ammon

Post by ammon »

Status of gnome 3.4?

Is it possible to upgrade?
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

ammon wrote:Status of gnome 3.4?

Is it possible to upgrade?
ammon

No, (Gnome 3.4) is not even up to date yet in 'Experimental' :(

See :arrow: http://www.0d.be/debian/debian-gnome-3.4-status.html
mockturtl

Post by mockturtl »

Has anyone noticed i386 Thunderbird's auto-updater hangs when connecting to the update server? I saw this with the 11.0.1 upgrade, and now with 12.0.

Temporarily changing the folder's owner fixes the problem.

sudo chown -R myusername:myusername /opt/thunderbird
It doesn't occur on amd64 (note, different package; 11.0 rather than 11.0-1lmde1).

I guess Firefox will auto-update to v12 soon.
gozer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gozer »

I have one issue which I believe is kernel related, and another that I have no idea where to begin.

I recently lost sound, and all video and sound apps were playing too fast. My video/sound card is a Radeon HD 3200. I'm using S/PDIF (optical) from the board to external speakers.

It seems related to this issue, and adding the line to grub does fix the video/audio speed. Unfortunately there is still no sound. S/PDIF is NOT muted.

This thread seems to be my issue exactly, but they never resolved it.

So there's that. I wanted to try another kernel, which leads me to my 2nd issue: I have no keyboard input at the grub menu. As I said above, I don't know where to begin. I attempted to get into a menu in bios but lost keyboard after opening the menu.

UPDATE: fixed the 'playing too fast' problem by using the workaround in this bug report. After rebooting however, my sound was still not working. I found that the wrong sound device was selected in the sound control panel (HTMI instead of on-board).

I still don't have a fix for the keyboard issue, and since it happens before anything Linux loads, it's probably an issue with my hardware and/or BIOS settings.
Last edited by gozer on Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Debian Testing
g+
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

gozer, that keyboard issue looks like udev (Gerd had a few posts about it, this is one of those) >> http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... ev#p434495
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

Just a quick note to to say that I got my laptop's broken screen replaced with a new laptop, and while it's got LMDE/KDE I'm going to stay out of testing for a while. I got so backed up on things that I don't have the time to check for testing updates for now, although I'll probably be back at some point.

Thanks to everyone who helped me while I sojourned in the Testing world. I couldn't have done it without y'all's help. One of these days I want to buy those rounds you guys have earned.
Lippy

Post by Lippy »

I'm a bit late on this, but I think there's a small problem with gtk3-engines-unico 1.0.2. It's taken me a while to work this out because I made the jump to Cinnamon at the same time, and because the issue isn't too noticeable. Themes using the Unico engine now appear to have minor graphical glitches. This is most noticeable with the scrollbar in gedit, buttons, checkboxes, etc. I don't recall the glitches ever occurring with version 1.0.1. Themes based on the Adwaita engine seem to look fine.

EDIT: Trust me to tpyo on the package name!
karashata

Post by karashata »

The problem is not with Unico but with the themes using it. GTK 3.4 and Unico 1.0.2 introduced some syntax changes that can cause themes built for GTK 3.2 and Unico 1.0.1 to look improper. I don't know exactly what changes were made but I know my themes required updating, which the original Zukitwo themes' author had done and I've since implemented in my themes as well. Try installing some themes specifically made/updated for GTK 3.4 and Unico 1.0.2 and see if they don't work properly for you.

Return to “LMDE Archive”