installing using usb or cd/dvd media?

Questions about Grub, the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

installing using usb or cd/dvd media?

Postby telenux on Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:41 pm

I tried searching for installing via usb.

But, I thought it wasn't specific enough. Does anyone use usb sticks for their install to their HDDs in their computer?

I am just wondering if Unetbootin is still a good resource for creating the iso on the usb HDD. I really would like multiple distros to boot from but the various instructions out there seemed a bit complex and I tried it once a long time ago but didn't succeed so I did it the traditional way.

I am planning on using two usb sticks. One will store my various distros (iso files) and then I'll just copy which one to the other usb when I do the install.

I think CD/DVD isn't needed anymore for these installs unless Unetbootin has a bug or is there a good alternative program out there now?

Thanks for any info.

Btw, one last question: I'm not sure which DE I prefer. I haven't tried the latest versions of KDE, XFCE but I wasn't too fond of the newest Gnome. I was going to try Cinnamon and/or MATE. They're both part of the same iso so I just pick one when doing the Install? I have no idea yet what they're like so what influences you to pick one over the other?
telenux
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 164
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:52 am

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Re: installing using usb or cd/dvd media?

Postby toomuchcoffee on Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:23 pm

I believe everyone uses a pen drive these days... there is no point burning disks anymore.
Unetbootin works on both windows and Linux but there's also something out there called pendrivelinux or something like that.
Once your LMDE is installed you have an image writer by default along with backup tools and other goodies, works really well.

I recommend cinnamon for looks, customization and ease of use, its not the prettiest thing out of the bag but with a nice theme and a few adjustments its perfect imo. KDE and Gnome 3 aren't DE's, they're monstrosities...

edit: at the login screen you can pick betwean Cinnamon or Mate..
Code: Select all
The program 'suck' is currently not installed.  To run 'suck' please ask your administrator to install the package 'suck'
toomuchcoffee
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:24 am

Re: installing using usb or cd/dvd media?

Postby animaguy on Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:33 pm

Here is my take on the issue.

The minimum gb for a bootable device is 4gb.

16x 4gb cds or dvds run around 8 to 11 dollars.

1 4gb usb pen drive is around 9 to 16 dollars.

You can only boot one version of LM on one device.

It seems to me more cost efficient to purchase DVDs or CDs.

Does anyone disagree?

Sent from my HTC Status using Tapatalk 2
animaguy
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 280
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:04 pm

Re: installing using usb or cd/dvd media?

Postby animaguy on Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:39 pm

My understanding about desktops is ram.

Xfce and lmdx and i386 is good for anything less and 32-bit.

But for 64-bit amd64 is well supported and has more potential for advanced development.

As far as look and feel or what the default out of the box configuration that is arbitrary and depends on the individuals needs.

So I believe the two major issues are...

A) system requirements

B) purpose and usage issues


Sent from my HTC Status using Tapatalk 2
animaguy
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 280
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:04 pm

Re: installing using usb or cd/dvd media?

Postby telenux on Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:56 pm

toomuchcoffee wrote:I believe everyone uses a pen drive these days... there is no point burning disks anymore.
Unetbootin works on both windows and Linux but there's also something out there called pendrivelinux or something like that.
Once your LMDE is installed you have an image writer by default along with backup tools and other goodies, works really well.

I recommend cinnamon for looks, customization and ease of use, its not the prettiest thing out of the bag but with a nice theme and a few adjustments its perfect imo. KDE and Gnome 3 aren't DE's, they're monstrosities...

edit: at the login screen you can pick betwean Cinnamon or Mate..
I've looked at pendrivelinux before but most of the apps I found were for Windows. Or the app is designed to install to an actual USB drive which is not what I'm looking for in this case.

What do you use to burn your .iso? I'll probably give Unetbootin another try for my Mint download. Thanks for the info.
telenux
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 164
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:52 am

Re: installing using usb or cd/dvd media?

Postby toomuchcoffee on Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:20 pm

I use the one that comes with LMDE currently but if stuck on windows unetbootin works, it worked the last time I tried it.i
Code: Select all
The program 'suck' is currently not installed.  To run 'suck' please ask your administrator to install the package 'suck'
toomuchcoffee
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:24 am

Re: installing using usb or cd/dvd media?

Postby anmys on Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:14 pm

telenux wrote:Does anyone use usb sticks for their install to their HDDs in their computer?


I use it all the time. In fact, I prefer it over the cd/dvd's as they are just wated once an install is over. I tried writing iso's to rewritable cd/dvd's, which was an iffy business most of the time :-(

I am just wondering if Unetbootin is still a good resource for creating the iso on the usb HDD. I really would like multiple distros to boot from but the various instructions out there seemed a bit complex and I tried it once a long time ago but didn't succeed so I did it the traditional way.


You do not need unetbootin for that purpose.

I am planning on using two usb sticks. One will store my various distros (iso files) and then I'll just copy which one to the other usb when I do the install.


Grub2 can boot off iso's on a hdd/usb stick. I have about 3-4 iso's on my keydrive which I carry all the time. Once, a new iso is released, it is a matter of copying the iso to the keydrive and editing a couple of lines in a configuration file.

For a detailed picture have a look at the following link http://www.panticz.de/MultiBootUSB

Regards.
anmys
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:30 pm

Re: installing using usb or cd/dvd media?

Postby telenux on Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:52 pm

toomuchcoffee wrote:I use the one that comes with LMDE currently but if stuck on windows unetbootin works, it worked the last time I tried it.i
Out of curiosity, which one is that?

I was trying to avoid using Windows for this.
telenux
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 164
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:52 am

Re: installing using usb or cd/dvd media?

Postby telenux on Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:59 pm

anmys wrote:
telenux wrote:Does anyone use usb sticks for their install to their HDDs in their computer?


I use it all the time. In fact, I prefer it over the cd/dvd's as they are just wated once an install is over. I tried writing iso's to rewritable cd/dvd's, which was an iffy business most of the time :-(

I am just wondering if Unetbootin is still a good resource for creating the iso on the usb HDD. I really would like multiple distros to boot from but the various instructions out there seemed a bit complex and I tried it once a long time ago but didn't succeed so I did it the traditional way.


You do not need unetbootin for that purpose.

I am planning on using two usb sticks. One will store my various distros (iso files) and then I'll just copy which one to the other usb when I do the install.


Grub2 can boot off iso's on a hdd/usb stick. I have about 3-4 iso's on my keydrive which I carry all the time. Once, a new iso is released, it is a matter of copying the iso to the keydrive and editing a couple of lines in a configuration file.

For a detailed picture have a look at the following link http://www.panticz.de/MultiBootUSB

Regards.
I wish to use a usb drive for booting, also. But, I just need the usb stick for booting the distro/iso and then installing it to my HDD in my computer.

That's why Unetbootin is convenient for this. Unless, they have new bugs, it should work as I used it before. The last time I used it, it worked well.

I'm not sure how you boot between multiple isos and then choose one for installing on another HDD. I have to choose USB as primary or 'initial' bootup device.

If you can multiple boot out of your isos, that's pretty cool. But, I was concerned about problems. The link you provided includes quite a few comments of people having difficulties.

Using something like Unetbootin places the one distro's iso with relevant files. There's usually no issues although I know Unetbootin just copies the required iso and files. But, the multiple iso (distros) and config files seems to add other complications.
telenux
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 164
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:52 am

Re: installing using usb or cd/dvd media?

Postby anmys on Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:03 am

telenux wrote:I wish to use a usb drive for booting, also. But, I just need the usb stick for booting the distro/iso and then installing it to my HDD in my computer.


That is what I said earlier. I use it all the time.

That's why Unetbootin is convenient for this. Unless, they have new bugs, it should work as I used it before. The last time I used it, it worked well.


It is good. But, I got bored using it to write all the new iso's I download :-)

I'm not sure how you boot between multiple isos and then choose one for installing on another HDD. I have to choose USB as primary or 'initial' bootup device.


You have to mention the list of iso's to boot from which then is displayed at the machine startup.

If you can multiple boot out of your isos, that's pretty cool. But, I was concerned about problems. The link you provided includes quite a few comments of people having difficulties.


Which program/method does not have problems? :-) Hence, the numerous fora and posts :-)

Why don't you try the method suggested and see whether *you* face any problems?

Regards.
anmys
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:30 pm

Re: installing using usb or cd/dvd media?

Postby telenux on Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:39 am

anmys wrote:
telenux wrote:Why don't you try the method suggested and see whether *you* face any problems? Regards.
When you write the 'how-to', I'll do it.
telenux
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 164
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:52 am

Re: installing using usb or cd/dvd media?

Postby Brad555 on Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:42 am

Ubuntu can be installed from a USB flash drive. This may be necessary for netbooks and other computers without CD drives and is handy for others because a USB flash drive is so convenient. Also, you can configure Ubuntu on the USB flash drive to save changes you make, unlike a read-only CD-ROM drive.
Brad555
Brad555
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:32 am

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Return to Installation & Boot

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests