LMDE XFCE vs. Debian Stable with XFCE

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jimcooncat

LMDE XFCE vs. Debian Stable with XFCE

Post by jimcooncat »

Thank you for making available this professional-grade forum. I'm a semi-experienced Debian/Ubuntu user looking at Mint seriously for the first time.

I'm contemplating installing XFCE on a number of machines, and am trying to sort through the pros and cons of which distro to base my images on. I am a huge fan of APT, and am learning packaging.

I having successfully experimented with remote install (PXE with preseeding) and very much enjoy that method of installation. Is that simple with LMDE?

My larger question, though, is:

Between LMDE and Debian Stable, which would be easier to maintain a bunch of machines over the next five years? I expect my users will not care for many new features (unless there's some next Big Thing (tm)). Fresh, quality security updates (don't break my X!) are my top priority.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zerozero

Re: LMDE XFCE vs. Debian Stable with XFCE

Post by zerozero »

they are totally different animals (the same way one shouldn't compare the LTS releases with the latest ubuntu/mint editions).

- lmde is based on testing (with the pros&cons that brings), even the UP http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1781 only "disguise" that to a certain extend.
squeezy

Re: LMDE XFCE vs. Debian Stable with XFCE

Post by squeezy »

The version of Xfce in Debian Stable (currently Squeeze) is 4.6, already a version behind the current Xfce desktop, which is at v4.8

Xfce is already testing the next update and expects to release v4.10 very soon.

If you're looking for a long-term support release go with either LMDE Xfce or track Debian Wheezy which will be the next stable Debian release. Wheezy will be frozen in June to prepare for release. At that time only bug fixes and security updates will be allowed into the Wheezy repos.

Return to “Beginner Questions”