What does one use for burning CD's?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
krt

What does one use for burning CD's?

Post by krt »

I am used to Kde with K3b, and my question is: What does one use in Gnome for burning CD-R's?

Thank you,

krt
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
OU812
Level 3
Level 3

Re: What does one use for burning CD's?

Post by OU812 »

I believe there is a burning tool in nautilus that will do the job. Otherwise, there is brasero. (I had trouble running brasero on cassandra, but your experience may be different.)

john
deadguy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by deadguy »

I use k3b in Gnome and it works fine!
in my opinion, it's the best one out there :mrgreen:

as for a gnome native prog. serpentine works ok.
Fred

Post by Fred »

K3B in Gnome and/or KDE.
:-)
Fred
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 900i »

Nautilus is all I need.
Desktop Core i7 Linux Mint 21.1 / Laptop Dell Precision M6400 Linux Mint 21.1
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

900i wrote:Nautilus is all I need.
Yes.
In Gnome rather than K3B (I do not like to have two desktops turning at the same time {because K3B is very dependent on KDE}) I prefer the completely good Gnome Baker or Graveman, Brasero is not bad also :D
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
yamawho
Level 3
Level 3

Post by yamawho »

So far in gnome I have only tried Brasero.
Used it to burn ISO's, erase disks and burn data dvd's.

I was not aware that I could of used nautilus ... would have tried it before installing brasero.

I used K3b on Mepis 6.5 and was burning coasters when doing cd's so I install Nero Linux and used that mostly.

As a reminder to reduce burning errors cd's should not be burned faster than 16x and dvd's no faster than 8x.
Dutchmaster
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Dutchmaster »

Stay with k3b if you're like me. If you like it, it's in the repo. But - in case you didn't know...........

**Caution: Linux Mint's version of k3b does not default install with the mp3 decoder.**

But not to worry. Crank up Synaptic. When you do a search for "k3b", a list of 4 or 5 programs/files come up. Look for both k3b and the file listed below it a couple of items that is the mp3 decoder for k3b. Install both and you're good to go.
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

What is it with all these k3b fanatics? k3b is great and all, but if you use it you could just as well just use KDE instead of GNOME. I find Brasero or the built in burner in Nautilus more than sufficient for my needs, burning the occasional ISO, and some data files at times....
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
krt

Post by krt »

OK, thank you. I did not realize that K3b was available in gnome . . .

I much prefer k3b for burning iso's than Nero in Windows where I have made more coasters than usable bootable disks!

Thanks again for all the good comments.

krt

Return to “Beginner Questions”