Mint Desktop Environment Popularity Poll

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.

Which Desktop Environment(s) Do You Use With Linux Mint?

Poll ended at Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:02 am

MGSE (Gnome 3 with Mint Gnome Shell Extensions)
5%
Cinnamon
27%
MATE
13%
KDE
9%
Gnome 2
18%
Gnome 3 (Gnome Shell without MGSE)
6%
XFCE
11%
LXDE
6%
Fluxbox
2%
Other / I don't use Linux Mint
3%

Total votes: 272

sunewbie

Re: Mint Desktop Environment Popularity Poll

Post by sunewbie »

I voted for XFCE and Cinnamon though I like LXDE and beginning to adapt UNITY

btw, where is UNITY (have to vote in others). People are changing their perspective about UNITY.
frsu

Post by frsu »

Can this poll as easy manipulated as the poll on the Mint blog?
teemac
Level 1
Level 1

Post by teemac »

Using Mint12x64/Cinnamon on parts testing machine - will use Mint13x64/Cinnamon when available for all machines.

Using Mint9 x64/Gnome2 on main machine and media machine - Mint9x32/Gnome2 on laptop.

All will change to Mint13/Cinnamon when available.

All machines used for work and need to be usable all the time.
i7 7700K Asus Maximus IX Hero - 16gb ram - Water Cooled - 2xEVO970 M2, 2x4tb HDD - nVidia gtx1050ti - Mint17 & 19.1 x64 Cinnamon
i7 920 Gigabyte EX58-UD3R - 6gb ram - Air - 6x2tb,2x3tb HDD - nVidia GTX750ti - Mint17 & 19.1 x64 Cinnamon
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

Oh, right, it's time to update my vote. :) Changed it from Gnome 2 to Gnome 2 and Cinnamon since I've updated my LMDE at work but still use Mint 11 at home. Will probably install Mint 13 with Cinnamon in place of it. :)
esteban1uy

Post by esteban1uy »

frsu wrote:Can this poll as easy manipulated as the poll on the Mint blog?
Not so easily.
Only registered users can vote and they can only vote once.
Even if a user tries to register multiple accounts, the forum managers can detect him because they can track his ip address ( :shock: yes, forum super-ops can see that).
realitykid

Post by realitykid »

I changed my vote. I am no longer using MATE on my Pentium 4. I am now using XFCE. However, I am still using Cinnamon on my main computer.
Danko8321

Post by Danko8321 »

Well, it is Mate, Cinnamon and KDE for me; most likely in that order of likelyness
Gnarly

Post by Gnarly »

I still have the last Fluxbox that was released installed. Rarely use it due to being so behind the times. I mainly use KDE now. I dont see a reason to even have Fluxbox in all these polls anymore since the Dev's have abandoned it. It's a Damn Shame Kendall just blew it off and he wasnt replaced.
Lumikki

Post by Lumikki »

For me it's Cinnamon. it's traditional enough and does what's required without any new fancy stuff what seem to just slow usuability.
Emerson Prado

Post by Emerson Prado »

I was quite happy with Gnome 2. I wasn't following Gnome development, so I was somehow caught by surprise by Gnome 3. Well, gave it a try.
Gnome Shell didn't work in first place, due to the video driver or something. After seeing what's like in descriptions all over the web, I'm glad it didn't work. 8)
Gnome Fallback was kinda useable, but many things got broken (even sacred shortcuts as Ctrl-Alt-Del or Ctrl-Alt-Backspace!), and what was left working got way harder to do, demanding many more mouse clicks or some guessing. Besides that, my desktop settings were just ignored! :(
I then heard about Cinnamon. Well, AFAIK, it is a workable version of Gnome Shell, which I don't like, so I didn't even try.
Then I installed Mate. My desktop was back, useability was back, my settings were back, my applets were back and my wife's satisfatcion with the computer was back. Enough, I'm keeping it.
I didn't try the other DEs. KDE is described as too much for my old Pentium IVs, and to suffer from the same ill path as Gnome, so I'll skip it. Someday I'll try the others, who knows?
Best regards,
Emerson
Goz
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Goz »

Emerson Prado wrote:I was quite happy with Gnome 2. I wasn't following Gnome development, so I was somehow caught by surprise by Gnome 3. Well, gave it a try.
Gnome Shell didn't work in first place, due to the video driver or something. After seeing what's like in descriptions all over the web, I'm glad it didn't work. 8)

Emerson
Tried Gnome3..I could not get Compiz to work,so that version of Mint is still sitting on my hard drive waiting to be deleted...
That being said,I voted for Mate and Xfce since they work with Compiz.
Think of Windows 10 as Hotel California for computers.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”