[solved] Changing the "labels" of the entries in grub?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
gosa
Level 4
Level 4

[solved] Changing the "labels" of the entries in grub?

Post by gosa »

Hi all,

I don't know if I used the right "lingo" in the title, but maybe it will clear itself up explaining what I have/want to do:

Installed both LMDE XFCE & LMDE Mate/Cinnamon onto the same hard drive for "testing" purposes. The reason I did two different installs was to not clutter one single install up with duplicate stuff. I'm leaning towards running XFCE on it, since I suspect that the netbook might not be strong enough for Cinnamon (my graphics I suppose). I still want to try it out for a bit.

Anyway - After downloading and installing the pae-kernels for each of these two OS's I now have 8 lines in grub starting with " LinuxMint GNU/Linux, with Linux... "

So - while it's easy to know that the last OS installed (I think?) is the one on top, and while I can see which is pae and which is 486 I wouldn't mind being able to change the " LinuxMint GNU/Linux, with Linux... " to something like "LMDE XFCE..." and "LMDE Mate/Cinnamon..."

Would that be possible to do without to much trouble? Is there a file I can edit?

Thanks in advance,
/gosa
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
roger64
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Changing the "labels" of the entries in grub?

Post by roger64 »

gosa wrote:Hi all,

I don't know if I used the right "lingo" in the title, but maybe it will clear itself up explaining what I have/want to do:

Installed both LMDE XFCE & LMDE Mate/Cinnamon onto the same hard drive for "testing" purposes. The reason I did two different installs was to not clutter one single install up with duplicate stuff. I'm leaning towards running XFCE on it, since I suspect that the netbook might not be strong enough for Cinnamon (my graphics I suppose). I still want to try it out for a bit.

Anyway - After downloading and installing the pae-kernels for each of these two OS's I now have 8 lines in grub starting with " LinuxMint GNU/Linux, with Linux... "

So - while it's easy to know that the last OS installed (I think?) is the one on top, and while I can see which is pae and which is 486 I wouldn't mind being able to change the " LinuxMint GNU/Linux, with Linux... " to something like "LMDE XFCE..." and "LMDE Mate/Cinnamon..."

Would that be possible to do without to much trouble? Is there a file I can edit?

Thanks in advance,
/gosa
I would advise to install grub-customiser. I know the latest usable is 2.5.3 I am unable now to provide you with the link.

Look here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=197&t=84055
Brian49

Post by Brian49 »

Grub Customizer doesn't enable you to edit the labels, as far as I can see.
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

Brian49 wrote:Grub Customizer doesn't enable you to edit the labels, as far as I can see.

Brian

Just double click on the label (in the edit mode of grub customizer) and you can change to anything you like. :wink:

Last edited by GeneC on Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Yep, Grub Customizer is an easy, efficient and safe way of doing this (and other grub edits).
Brian49

Post by Brian49 »

GeneC wrote:Just double click on the label (in the edit mode of grub customizer) and you can change to anything you like.
Silly me - that's the one move I didn't try.

The latest package version is 2.5.4, downloadable here:

32-bit

https://launchpad.net/~danielrichter200 ... o_i386.deb

64-bit

https://launchpad.net/~danielrichter200 ... _amd64.deb

This is the flavour for Ubuntu Oneiric, which installs on my system without any unsatisfiable dependencies. Your mileage may vary; should that be the case, I can post the links to other flavours.
gosa
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gosa »

Interesting, I'll have to download and try the grub customizer then - seems easy enough.
Still a pity that it can't be done just by editing a text file, but you can't get it all.

Marking this one as solved.

Thanks to you all for your replies!

/gosa

Return to “LMDE Archive”