Thank God For Linux Mint & Cinnamon

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
bigbearomaha
Level 3
Level 3

Thank God For Linux Mint & Cinnamon

Post by bigbearomaha »

I have been running LMDE pretty happily for a few months now and yesterday I finally did the full updates which included Gnome 3 which i have been avoiding like the plague.

I am not a huge fan of Gnome 3. So, I installed Cinnamon and I have to say thank you to the Linux mint team for this great work.

my desktop is not a tablet and i LOVE the desktop presence of Cinnamon as a solid compromise.

Well played my friends, very well played.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Bee the best you can bee.
äxl

Re: Thank God For Linux Mint & Cinnamon

Post by äxl »

Also try MATE. :D
ashtonford
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ashtonford »

just wanted to say I totally agree. I have been a mint user for awhile now but really dident pay much atten to cinnamon but its awsome! love it its all Ive been using for the past few months. its nice to have my system the way I like it.
telenux
Level 3
Level 3

Post by telenux »

It looks pretty good albeit I've only tried the live media. I aim to install it on a new HDD I have. I'm not sure whether I'll like Cinnamon and MATE but I did like Gnome 2 and I liked KDE before it had major surgery. Now, my choices are XFCE (not bad), Cinnamon or MATE. I can't stand Gnome3 and KDE is a 2nd choice to the rest just mentioned. If I want something extra from XFCE and I don't like the DEs from Mint, I'll grudgingly try KDE again.

One thing I think Mint does right is installing so many packages by default. One might say, I don't need all of those packages installed. But, it's great for being very versatile and if you don't need certain ones, you can just uninstall them. It's a very good configuration idea especially for newbies and just for testing it on your hardware.

Of course, there might be issues as well but overall, it's a good idea. As long as certain ones don't conflict (and it's just unneeded extra packages) then it doesn't hurt and it's good. I also like that Mint chooses to use Debian Testing so many packages are up to date. I want to get a wifi card for my desktop one day and I'm pretty confident it'd be fine with Mint. With many of them being realtek, I might have to settle for that and I noticed Mint has the latest firmware already installed.

Return to “LMDE Archive”