How heavier than Debian 6?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
tpprynn
Level 3
Level 3

How heavier than Debian 6?

Post by tpprynn »

I was wondering if I might just about get the 32 bit version of the new Mint Debian working on an old Thinkpad that can cope with Debian 6.0.4 pretty well. If as I think I read it has a Gnome Classic option is there anything else about this distro that is heavier than regular Debian? The specs are 900mhz, 20gb, 256mb, though the ram's being doubled this week. Debian 6 rarely seemed to need more than 150mb for my purposes.

I imagine the cirrus cs46xx sound is patched and working in LMDE, which with regular Debian had to have something added and compiled for Debian's ethical reasons? (It would not boot again when I did this so I abandoned settling with Debian.)

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Re: How heavier than Debian 6?

Post by nunol »

With 512MB of RAM should work fine. With 256MB of RAM it's very slow but it works better if you install and use LXDE or some other lighter WM.

You can get some ideas to improve performance from the PDF file in this post: forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=96465

Return to “LMDE Archive”