garbled image rendering with Gnome3 shell and nvidia driver

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
deepclutch
Level 1
Level 1

garbled image rendering with Gnome3 shell and nvidia driver

Post by deepclutch »

Hi,
I am using Linux Mint 12 with Gnome3.

am facing following problems with Gnome3(Cinnamon) Shell and proprietary nvidia driver:

[*] in firefox and other browsers, while scrolling, images and contents of the webpage freezes(giving garbled images). if I do any other activities in gnome3 session, the garbled layout of pages corrects.
[*]faces the same issue with image viewing applications like eog,shotwell while zooming in and zooming out.
[*] with nouveau open source driver, there is no image rendering issues.

I found out that mutter window manager and nvidia driver interaction is responsible for this issue.(with metacity, there is absolutely no issues). may be even indirectly related to Clutter libs.

I uses Debian Sid(Gnome Shell) as well with which also I am facing this issue albeit more worse.

There is a bug report given to Debian BTS with regards to this issue:
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepor ... =656334#10
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=72358
Here are the Screen shots:

Here is a Desktop screen capture video I recorded which will elucidate the issue faced. Please see the video(Zip format 4MB):
http://www.mediafire.com/?liie7lj3bo6d4rw

Is there anyone else who is facing this issue?

Thanks in Advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: garbled image rendering with Gnome3 shell and nvidia dri

Post by xenopeek »

Moved here by moderator

Please share the output of following command, as input for those who may have a solution:

Code: Select all

inxi -Gxc 0
deepclutch
Level 1
Level 1

Post by deepclutch »

Here is the output:

@cooleo ~ $ inxi -Gxc 0
Graphics:  Card: nVidia G73 [GeForce 7300 GT] bus-ID: 03:00.0 
           X.Org 1.10.4 drivers nvidia unloaded: nouveau Resolution 1440x900@50.0hz 
           GLX Renderer GeForce 7300 GT/PCI/SSE2 GLX Version 2.1.2 NVIDIA 290.10 Direct Rendering Yes
Quirriff

Post by Quirriff »

Got something similar but so bad I have pixelated holes in my icons as well....Except it's in the LiveDVD and I don't know if it's using the proprietory driver or not.
Gforce GTS 220 I think my card is.
sagirfahmid3

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

Open up Synaptic, click on "Repository," add ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates, then refresh. Then you can install nVidia's graphics driver by clicking on Additional Drivers in the main menu. If the program does not offer you the "current version" you can get nvidia-current with Software or Package Manager.
Foxandxss

Post by Foxandxss »

I came here to ask the same thing.

First, my info:

$ inxi -Gxc 0
Graphics:  Card: nVidia C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] bus-ID: 00:0d.0 
           X.Org 1.10.4 drivers nvidia unloaded: nouveau,vesa,fbdev Resolution 1440x900@50.0hz 
           GLX Renderer GeForce 6150SE nForce 430/PCI/SSE2 GLX Version 2.1.2 NVIDIA 280.13 Direct Rendering Yes
Im already using nvidia-current (I have the nvidia settings and in my house I configured Twinview there).

Same problem.

In some pages, when you scroll in firefox, some divs get stucked or duplicated or even collapsed.

In Libreoffice calc, when you resize a column, you don't see the efect until you make some clicks or scroll.

It seems to happen in some GTK+ apps.

Another thing is that only happens in gnome shell / cinnamon. On mate / gnome classic (no effects) it doesnt happens. So... is some effect on shell / cinnamon that produces that weird behavior?

btw, it also happens in archlinux, so my shell / cinnamon effects theory is better :P
deepclutch
Level 1
Level 1

Post by deepclutch »

someone reported from nvidia forum that He/She have success with latest gnome-shell/mutter from ppa(version: 3.3.x) of rictoz and the problem seems to be resolved. but, He is on Ubuntu. I don't want to add this ubuntu ppa which contains bleeding edge gnome packages. .which results in total upgrade of whole gnome-shell dependencies to version 3.3.9 iinm.
He hints that package cogl updated may have helped.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showpos ... stcount=17

not sure, if rebuilding cogl dependencies for gnome-shell from the ubuntu ppa(source) will be successful as it seems a lot of packages are directly dependent on libcogl5(and latest version is libcogl8) . :(
grahams

Post by grahams »

Hi

I have a similar problem. When I resume from a suspend the cinnamon panel is garbled. If I alt f2, r to restart cinnamon all is well until the next resume.

Interestingly I also have a GeForce 6150SE

# inxi -Gxc 0
Graphics: Card nVidia C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] X.Org 1.11.4 Res: 1920x1080@50.0hz
GLX Renderer GeForce 6150SE nForce 430/integrated/SSE2 GLX Version 2.1.2 NVIDIA 295.20 Direct Rendering Yes
blankenshipma

Post by blankenshipma »

grahams wrote: I have a similar problem. When I resume from a suspend the cinnamon panel is garbled. If I alt f2, r to restart cinnamon all is well until the next resume.
Same thing for me, for Gnome shell. Haven't seen any other bad effects. I have a NVidia GeForce GTX260M. Also using current Driver. Any workarounds?
telenux
Level 3
Level 3

Post by telenux »

Well, reports are that the latest Nvidia driver has some major issues. Not sure if that is contributing to any problem with suspend but you could inquire or search the forum (Nvnews and Phoronix).
grahams

Post by grahams »

I found that my issue with resume from suspend with the cinnamon panel only happens with the Nightlife themes and does not happen with the standard or elegance themes.

Return to “Software & Applications”