[Solved] Latest LMDE-XFCE: Can't get Conky transparent?

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gosa
Level 4
Level 4

[Solved] Latest LMDE-XFCE: Can't get Conky transparent?

Post by gosa »

Hi all,

In the process of setting up my recently reinstalled netbook the way I want it, and ran into a problem.

I can't seem to get Conky transparent.

This is what I I have now:

Code: Select all

background yes
use_xft yes
xftfont monotype:size=9
xftalpha 1
update_interval 1.0
total_run_times 0
own_window yes
own_window_transparent yes
own_window_type normal #alt: desktop, normal or override
own_window_hints undecorated,below,sticky,skip_taskbar,skip_pager
double_buffer yes
minimum_size 200 200
maximum_width 160
draw_shades no
draw_outline no
draw_borders no
draw_graph_borders no
default_color d9d7d6
default_shade_color 000000
default_outline_color d9d7d6
alignment top_right
gap_x 12
gap_y 24
no_buffers yes
uppercase no
cpu_avg_samples 2
override_utf8_locale no
And this is how it looks:

I tried switching the own_window_type but that one doesn't seem to make any difference. I've also looked around here in the forum, but none of the suggestions seem to work for me.

So - what can I do? Anyone else with the new respin installed that can share some insight?

Thanks in advance,
/gosa
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gosa
Level 4
Level 4

Can't get Conky transparent?

Post by gosa »

Ohhh... that was kind of embarrassing. :oops:

- Don't know what happened, but several reboots and numerous tries later it suddenly works.

So let's all move on with our lives and forget that I asked in the first place... :lol:
Last edited by gosa on Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gosa
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Latest spin of LMDE-XFCE - Can't get Conky transparent?

Post by gosa »

Why does it feel like I'm talking to myself?
- Because I do!! :lol:

Seems like my problem is back, and I'm once again scratching my head over this one:

In a "raw" basic install of LMDE XFCE I have conky giving me a black background as in the screenshot above.
Then I installed dropbox from the Linux Mint repos, and with it I also got nautilus-dropbox. After that it seems like Conky finally gets transparent, but I suspect that nautilius has something to do with that.
Anyway - I'm not sure I'm happy with Dropbox pulling in Nautilus and yet another 10MB of RAM, so I started all over again - and behold - I lost transparency.

So - how do I get my transparency in LMDE XFCE without messing with nautilus? Or am I wrong in my suspicions? Is there something else at play here?

Thanks - again - in advance,
/gosa
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

you hit a "small :lol: " problem there;
i don't have xfce atm installed to test this, but hope these links help
http://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=6847
http://crunchbanglinux.org/forums/topic ... y-problem/
http://blog.mmassonnet.info/2011/08/xfc ... conky.html
gosa
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gosa »

Thank you for those links zerozero.

Seeing that one of them leads to #! - a community from where I have only good experiences - I decided to begin there.
An it did indeed help me get my transparency back.

I did end up with a new "problem" though, and that is that while the static stuff in my Conky are ok the dynamic ones (cpu load, uptime) seem out of sync and flickers when they change "value". (Not really flickering - more like the new value gets written on top of the "disappearing" old one)

I tried manipulate the double_buffer value, and also update_interval but none of them seem to change that behavior. First I thought I'd blame the computer for not being able to cope with the "stress" of it all, but since I've never seen this problem before (had conky running a year in a previous install of LMDE, and it's also behaved well in both LM13 LXDE and in #!) I'm thinking it's gotta be something else. Anyway - I suppose that is a problem for another thread, my initial issue is however solved.

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction!

/gosa

Return to “Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets”