Screen flickers, probably driver issue

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
dtoffe

Screen flickers, probably driver issue

Post by dtoffe »

Hi,
I had Debian Stable installed and the screen looked fine, after installing Mint with either Cinnamon, Mate or Gnome, the screen flickers every few seconds. My graphics card is an NVidia GeForce 9500 GT, but don't know what drivers I have installed or where to look for it. Besides, In the System - Preferences - Monitors settings, the monitor is unknow and Detect Monitors doesn't seem to find anything.
How do I know what graphic drivers I have installed ?
Cheers,
Daniel
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Screen flickers, probably driver issue

Post by Oscar799 »

Moved here by moderator
dtoffe

Post by dtoffe »

It seems Ubuntu detects nvidia hardware and install the proper drivers, but Mint doesn't and you must install them. Tomorrow I'll try the procedure described here and mark this thread as solved if it works.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=82424&f=191

Daniel
dtoffe wrote:Hi,
I had Debian Stable installed and the screen looked fine, after installing Mint with either Cinnamon, Mate or Gnome, the screen flickers every few seconds. My graphics card is an NVidia GeForce 9500 GT, but don't know what drivers I have installed or where to look for it. Besides, In the System - Preferences - Monitors settings, the monitor is unknow and Detect Monitors doesn't seem to find anything.
How do I know what graphic drivers I have installed ?
Cheers,
Daniel
dtoffe

Post by dtoffe »

After a clean Mint install I've installed nvidia-current, ran "sudo nvidia-xconfig" and rebooted. Now the screen doesn't flicker anymore, but I'm stuck with 640x480 mode.
It would be nice if the Mint installer could detect the hardware and install the proper drivers, I'll file a bug report with this issue.
I'm posting this procedure in case it's useful to someone else.

Daniel
dtoffe wrote:It seems Ubuntu detects nvidia hardware and install the proper drivers, but Mint doesn't and you must install them. Tomorrow I'll try the procedure described here and mark this thread as solved if it works.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=82424&f=191

Daniel

Return to “LMDE Archive”