Hibernate / Suspend Fails With Power Switch But OK From Menu

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
anothermuggle

Hibernate / Suspend Fails With Power Switch But OK From Menu

Post by anothermuggle »

Evening All,

Not sure where this topic really belongs.

I have a HP Mini 210 netbook with LMDE installed. I can use hibernate and suspend from the Mint Menu and both work fine. However, when I press the power switch, which presents the options to hibernate, suspend, power off or cancel, if I choose either hibernate or suspend then it fails. The computer doesn't look like it does a full shutdown sequence but also don't pick up from where it left off on last boot.

Does anyone have any ideas? Where can I start looking to see what is different between choosing from the mint menu and pressing the power button?

Cheers,
Tom

EDIT: If anyone can tell me what happens when the power switch is pressed, such as what script/program is called, then it would be a huge help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
äxl

Re: Hibernate / Suspend Fails With Power Switch But OK From

Post by äxl »

anothermuggle wrote:The computer doesn't look like it does a full shutdown sequence but also don't pick up from where it left off on last boot.
Hm, for setup look with dconf-editor in key:
org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power
Does anyone have any ideas? Where can I start looking to see what is different between choosing from the mint menu and pressing the power button?
http://letmebingthatforyou.com/?q=linux+power+button ;)
EDIT: If anyone can tell me what happens when the power switch is pressed, such as what script/program is called, then it would be a huge help.
In MATE it's running mate-session-save --shutdown-dialog
But on my PC it also runs an ACPI script so it shuts down immediately.
irianx

Re: Hibernate / Suspend Fails With Power Switch But OK From

Post by irianx »

Check the ACPI scripts at /etc/acpi and /etc/acpi/events

I think you need to create an empty file /etc/acpi/powerbtn.sh with execute rights for all users. Then you will "suppress" the default acpi activities (I think they are coming from Debian).

Return to “LMDE Archive”