Restricted Drivers W/O Network

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Branta
Level 2
Level 2

Restricted Drivers W/O Network

Post by Branta »

Dell D600 has an internal Broadcom BCM4306 wifi card

I installed Mint Daryna using a D-Link DWL G-650 supported pcmcia wireless card. With net access established, the restricted drives utility obtained the proprietary drivers and installed them. After reboot the BCM4306 worked fine...for months....

I re-installed Daryna but the PCMCIA slot failed. I verified the DWL G-650 card is fine. I have No net access for the restricted drivers. Using a pc I downloaded the sw from http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/u ... 3_i386.deb listed in the restricted drivers screen on the laptop.

After the download with Nautilus I clicked on the bcm43xx-fwcutter_006-3_i386.deb and went through the dialog for installing the BCM4306 driver...until a screen titled Specify Firmware location. It gave me 2 choices: a Local File or Download From the Internet with this url, http://xeve.de/down/wl_apsta.o

I can't download as I have No net connection and I do Not know where the firmware is located.

So what do I do?

Bob
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Restricted Drivers W/O Network

Post by Husse »

Do I understand you right that the .deb is downloaded but you don't know where?
/etc/apt/cache is a place to look into
Branta
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Restricted Drivers W/O Network

Post by Branta »

No, I have downloaded and these files are on a ram stick/Flash Drive:
bcm43xx-fwcutter_006-3_i386.deb
wl_apsta.o

When I click on the deb file it goes through the install screens. I have downloaded the .o file as it has something to do with the firmware location of something but am never asked for it as outlined at the end of my first post.

--- Bob ---
Branta
Level 2
Level 2

SOLVED: Restricted Drivers W/O Network

Post by Branta »

I had do it twice!

With Nautilus I clicked on:
bcm43xx-fwcutter_006-3_i386.deb
Reboot but no joy.
With Nautilus I clicked on the above file again but this time was asked where the firmware was located. I had earlier downloaded it so I was ready. The file name was:
wl_apsta.o
The screen gave me the choice to either select the URL (but I had no connection) or the local file that I had earlier downloaded.

Rebooted and I had the Broadcom BCM4360 internal wireless working.

It was very good practice for the developers to list the complete URL's as that allowed me to download everything. It might be helpful to allow for an easier and more explicit choice if one has no net connection.

--- Bob ---

Return to “Installation & Boot”