Mint-Z Theme vanished.

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
laptoplinux

Mint-Z Theme vanished.

Post by laptoplinux »

Something got borked on my installation.

Clean install of Mint 12 ans I found thatI was enjoying the new interface and Mint-Z theme...then...literally all of a sudden on a reboot it stopped working and I am in the "ugly" simple interface.

When I check aptitude all of the themes are still installed but if I go to the setting window I can not select a theme. See screen shots.

Mate works fine if I select upon login.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Danko8321

Re: Mint-Z Theme vanished.

Post by Danko8321 »

Well, it is not that your theme vanished, it is that, for some reason, your graphics card conflicted with Xorg and kicked you into the low-graphics mode session. May we know what graphics card you have and general specs of the system? You can post that by writing:

Code: Select all

lspci
in a terminal and then pasting the output here in the forums. Also, in order to know what drivers you are using, write

inxi -Gx
and please paste the output.

EDIT: better use the -Gx option than piping into grep; sorry about that.
laptoplinux

Post by laptoplinux »

Danko8321 wrote:Well, it is not that your theme vanished, it is that, for some reason, your graphics card conflicted with Xorg and kicked you into the low-graphics mode session. May we know what graphics card you have and general specs of the system? You can post that by writing:

lspci
in a terminal and then pasting the output here in the forums. Also, in order to know what drivers you are using, write

inxi -Gx

$ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family DRAM Controller (rev 09)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200/2nd Generation Core Processor Family PCI Express Root Port (rev 09)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family MEI Controller #1 (rev 04)
00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #2 (rev 04)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev b4)
00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 4 (rev b4)
00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 5 (rev b4)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #1 (rev 04)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation HM65 Express Chipset Family LPC Controller (rev 04)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family 6 port SATA AHCI Controller (rev 04)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller (rev 04)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc NI Seymour [AMD Radeon HD 6470M]
02:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Centrino Advanced-N 6230 (rev 34)
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 06)
04:00.0 USB Controller: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1042 SuperSpeed USB Host Controller
$ inxi -Gx
Graphics: Card-1: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0
Card-2: ATI NI Seymour [AMD Radeon HD 6470M] bus-ID: 01:00.0
X.Org 1.10.4 drivers intel unloaded: vesa,fbdev Resolution 1600x900@60.1hz
GLX Renderer Mesa DRI Intel Sandybridge Mobile GLX Version 2.1 Mesa 7.11 Direct Rendering Yes
Thanks for the help and the hint. I posted the requested output in the event you can see somethinbg else that I am missing. But based on your reply I uninstalled the "Additional "Drivers" for graphics and it seemed to solve the problem. Is this a good permanent solution? I would think the newer drivers would be better for functionalty. Am I losing anything?
Danko8321

Post by Danko8321 »

laptoplinux wrote:
Danko8321 wrote:Well, it is not that your theme vanished, it is that, for some reason, your graphics card conflicted with Xorg and kicked you into the low-graphics mode session. May we know what graphics card you have and general specs of the system? You can post that by writing:

lspci

inxi -Gx

$ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family DRAM Controller (rev 09)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200/2nd Generation Core Processor Family PCI Express Root Port (rev 09)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family MEI Controller #1 (rev 04)
00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #2 (rev 04)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev b4)
00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 4 (rev b4)
00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 5 (rev b4)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #1 (rev 04)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation HM65 Express Chipset Family LPC Controller (rev 04)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family 6 port SATA AHCI Controller (rev 04)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller (rev 04)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc NI Seymour [AMD Radeon HD 6470M]
02:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Centrino Advanced-N 6230 (rev 34)
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 06)
04:00.0 USB Controller: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1042 SuperSpeed USB Host Controller
$ inxi -Gx
Graphics: Card-1: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0
Card-2: ATI NI Seymour [AMD Radeon HD 6470M] bus-ID: 01:00.0
X.Org 1.10.4 drivers intel unloaded: vesa,fbdev Resolution 1600x900@60.1hz
GLX Renderer Mesa DRI Intel Sandybridge Mobile GLX Version 2.1 Mesa 7.11 Direct Rendering Yes
Thanks for the help and the hint. I posted the requested output in the event you can see somethinbg else that I am missing. But based on your reply I uninstalled the "Additional "Drivers" for graphics and it seemed to solve the problem. Is this a good permanent solution? I would think the newer drivers would be better for functionalty. Am I losing anything?
Well, you have an ATI Radeon card, and they pretty much hate Linux. Plus, you are using Gnome 3.2, which is uncompatible with ATI drivers and also very heavy on the effects. However, you seem to also have an Intel Graphics chipset at the same time, and is that a Xeon procesosor? Cool :D Anyway, sorry for the drooling there. Yours didn't go so bad; I have heard of screen flickers, total system blankout, TTY only cases, you name it. So, yeah, the new drivers do provide a better functionality :lol: May I say you were one of the lucky ones and could fix your issue without much problems. Lucky, Lucky.

As for your other question, leaving the drivers uninstalled is not the best solution ever, but it can be the best thing to do by now, at least until ATI releases drivers that are compatible with Gnome 3 or you switch to the next Mint edition which, I believe, will have a fix for that that doesn't depend on the ATI drivers (it has something to do with the newer version of Gnome). Whichever you do I wold suggest you to Google a lot and try to find if someone has either had the same experience or found a solution. I can't do much more than this right here since I do not posess an ATI card, but I can tell you that the Ubuntu Forums contain more info about hardware and compatibility than the Mint Forums do. Have a look at them and if you find something usefull try to do it.

Good Luck and welcome to our community.

Danko.

Return to “MATE”