EMU 0404 USB - No Sound

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
KingBongo

EMU 0404 USB - No Sound

Post by KingBongo »

Hi. I am having trouble getting the sound working in LMDE 1204 with my EMU 0404 USB sound card. I had it working in LMDE 1109 but I don't remember exactly what I did. It might have worked right out-of-the-box, but probably not.

I have been following this guide

http://wiki.debian.org/snd-emu10k1

After that I tried to configure my card with alsamixer from the terminal. No success. Instead I am now getting some funky error messages,

Code: Select all

sudo alsamixer
ALSA lib conf.c:1220:(parse_def) show is not a compound
ALSA lib conf.c:1686:(snd_config_load1) _toplevel_:24:26:Unexpected char
ALSA lib conf.c:3406:(config_file_open) /usr/share/alsa/pulse-alsa.conf may be old or corrupted: consider to remove or fix it
Any ideas?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
KingBongo

Re: EMU 0404 USB - No Sound

Post by KingBongo »

Anyone?
lewyssmith

Post by lewyssmith »

Me too: NO SOUND on a newly installed LinuxMint Debian, and the only problem that has hit me.
'Card' is on-board SIS (according to Mixer: SI7012) which has worked on all sorts of Linux's without doing anything.
Mixer icon in system tray offers all sorts of choices which I do not understand, and there is no related Help... Cannot find any relevant documentation.
alsamixer at terminal shows everything at a volume, with same error msgs as KingBongo.
This seems a bizarre - and basic - failing in what has otherwise proved to be a superb distribution.

Any advice appreciated. TIA Lewis Smith
lewyssmith

Post by lewyssmith »

To give hope to others in a similar mess, I have hopefully SOLVED my no-sound problem by scouring several threads on the same subject,and
removing pulseaudio
as described

sudo apt-get remove pulsaudio
then re-booting.

For good measure, in VLC according to other advice, I went to Tools-Preferences-Audio and asked specifically for ALSA and the exact audio device (rather than 'default') from its drop-down list. This dialogue has two views, Simple/All; be sure to look at both and all scroll-hidden options.

Since other Linux distributions seem to cope with no hassle, this seems to be alas the Achilles Heel of LinuxMint - at least the Debian flavour. There are many postings on the subject, and some of the suggested remedies are very technical. This one was the easiest. I was about to praise up this LinuxMint Debian/XFCE distribution as the best I have met for years; but this issue has dampened my entheusiasm. Since it is a well-know weakness, why cannot LinuxMint do at least as well as others in this field? All-round, they do better!

Best of luck Lewis Smith
KingBongo

Post by KingBongo »

Ok. This sucks. I tried removing Pulseaudio but instead of having everything working I ran into some new kind of problems. Sound seems to work worse in LMDE 1204 than in LMDE 1109 which is kind of annoying. After having problems with my EMU 0404 USB previously most Linux distros I tried now handle it with ease. But in LMDE 1204 the problems are back! I should have stayed with LMDE 1109 for a while. I hope they get the sound issues fixed real quick.
KingBongo

Post by KingBongo »

Ok guys. Thanks to Matt who uses to be on the Linux Action Show I managed to solve this problem. Install the package "pavucontrol" from terminal (or from somewhere else),

sudo apt-get install pavucontrol
It gives you way more control over your hardware. If it isn't obvious at this point you should NOT remove "pulsaudio" at first.

Return to “LMDE Archive”