External HDD does not properly eject. [AMENDED]

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Intio

External HDD does not properly eject. [AMENDED]

Post by Intio »

Ever since switching out my Gnome UP3 LMDE installation for the XFCE UP4 edition, I have noticed that my external USB backup HDD does not correctly spin down after clicking "Eject" (either from the right-click menu or from within Thunar) and so even though the drive appears safe to remove, unplugging the USB cable causes a grinding sound as the platters come to a halt. This didn't happened until the XFCE UP4 install, the HDD would spin down and could then be removed.

USB flash memory stick are unaffected by this, even the LED's on them will go out if I select eject.

Can anyone give me a terminal command I can used to 'instruct' the drive to spin down into it's 'safe' state before I remove the USB cable?
Last edited by Intio on Tue May 01, 2012 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Intio

Re: External HDD does not properly eject.

Post by Intio »

I tried the simple

Code: Select all

sudo eject /dev/sdc
command and this did the trick, spinning the drive down then ejecting. Strangely no GUI "Eject" option did the same thing within Xfce.

Is there some file I can edit to amend this, rather than creating my own "Eject HDD.sh" file?
kuckunniwi

Re: External HDD does not properly eject. [AMENDED]

Post by kuckunniwi »

I'm having the same problem on Mint 13 xfce (amd64 AND i386)
zerozero

Re: External HDD does not properly eject. [AMENDED]

Post by zerozero »

kuckunniwi,
this topic refers to a different edition of mint and is over 6 months old; you should open a specific topic for your issue.

Return to “Xfce”