lmde home folder issue

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
bramete

lmde home folder issue

Post by bramete »

Hi!!
if anyone knows the answer...
i'm coming from mint ubuntu and wanted to go to lmde, i've got my home folder in a diferent drive, with the ubuntu edition no problem, but wit lmde i can't make the installation asigning home to a diferent drive.
any workaround/solution?
thx in advance
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
stingray
Level 1
Level 1

Re: lmde home folder issue

Post by stingray »

I have the same problem. I have two hard drives and I want to use sda for the OS and sdb (which is already /home for another installation) for /home.

It looks like you can do it the way discussed here by editing fstab but you should have the option to do it during the install. I just want to make sure I don't wipe out what I already have on sdb.
stingray
Level 1
Level 1

Re: lmde home folder issue

Post by stingray »

I followed the advice in that thread and everything seems fine. Here's what I did:

Restart in recovery mode

Copy all the data from the current /home to the desired /home location. This includes hidden and system files. You can delete this stuff from the current /home location to save some space (probably around 100MB).

Edit fstab to mount /home on the new drive (in a terminal enter "sudo pluma /etc/fstab"). I followed the format already in fstab where they go by UUID. The options I used are "nodev,nosuid,relatime". Save and close fstab.

Restart the computer and login.

When I first logged in I got a message:
User's $HOME/.dmrc file is being ignored. This prevents the default session and language from being saved. File should be owned by user and have 644 permissions. User's $HOME directory must be owned by user and not writable by other users.
This seemed easy enough to fix, I just changed the home folder (/home/$USERNAME) permissions to Owner: read and write, Group: read, Others: read.

This is probably really easy obvious stuff for some but I only half know what I'm doing with some of this stuff so I have to look everything up and I'm sure there are those who know less than me. If you see a glaring mistake please let me know.

Some helpful links:
Using UUID - Ubuntu help
About Fstab - Ubuntu help
How to Fstab - Ubuntu forums
How to edit and understand /etc/fstab - tuxfiles
Fstab - LinuxQuestions
fstab - Wikipedia

Return to “LMDE Archive”