Windows Small Business Serveer 2011

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jonsteckelberg

Windows Small Business Serveer 2011

Post by jonsteckelberg »

My work uses a SBS 2011 and allows remote web access. I can not get the connection top work with remmina. Is it possible to connect to a SBS 2011 remotly with Mint?

Thanks
Jon
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Angtagapagligt

Re: Windows Small Business Serveer 2011

Post by Angtagapagligt »

Of course it is...
That's not a matter of the operating system...
jonsteckelberg

Post by jonsteckelberg »

Well if it is possible how do you do it? I have tried several rdp programs and none are able to connect. I use firefox to navigate to the remote website and click on the connection icon. It then asks what to do with the file. I save the file, open remmina and import the rdp file. It imports the info but it is not correct and will not link to the server.

Please help if you can.
Thanks
Jon
kwisher

Post by kwisher »

Are you sure RDP is enabled on the server? I'm not sure about SBS but for Server 2008 it is not enabled by default. I use Remmina at work to connect to several Windows servers including 2003 with no problem.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

OK, I misread it a bit: remmima is a GTK client under Linux
However, you have a choice of RDP clients, so if one doesn't work well you can try others, including any default clients available in your Linux distribution
http://www.freerdp.com/
--from Remmima link

http://us.generation-nt.com/s/rdp+keeps/

Remmina is a particular RDP plugin, is it not ?
--so that will no doubt interfere with normal (any RDP) client access, except the prescribes OS..
http://us.generation-nt.com/s/rdp+keeps/

Connect to win terminal services..
http://www.watchingthenet.com/how-to-co ... buntu.html

Remmima + Linux..
http://remmina.sourceforge.net/
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/r ... evelopment
kwisher

Post by kwisher »

DrHu is correct. When you install remmina you will also need to install the plugin called remmina-plugin-rdp. If you search in synaptic for remmina you will see all the available plugins.
jonsteckelberg

Post by jonsteckelberg »

I have installed the plug in. The previous server version my company used (2003) worked fine it is only when we swiched to the latest version 2011 that i have problems. Is anyone out there actually connecting a linux computer to a SBS 2011 server through the web interface?

Thanks
Jon
kwisher

Post by kwisher »

jonsteckelberg wrote:I have installed the plug in. The previous server version my company used (2003) worked fine it is only when we swiched to the latest version 2011 that i have problems. Is anyone out there actually connecting a linux computer to a SBS 2011 server through the web interface?

Thanks
Jon
The web interface and a RDP client are two different things. Use the remmina client and make sure RDP is enables of the SBS. I connect to Server 2008 & 2003 at work with the remmina client.
jonsteckelberg

Post by jonsteckelberg »

Yes i understand this and i have tried to set remmina up manually also and it still does not work. Also the problem started when they installed SBS 2011 so i think it is unique to that version. Anyone else have any ideas?

Thanks
Jon
kwisher

Post by kwisher »

jonsteckelberg wrote:Yes i understand this and i have tried to set remmina up manually also and it still does not work. Also the problem started when they installed SBS 2011 so i think it is unique to that version. Anyone else have any ideas?

Thanks
Jon
I will ask again, are you sure RDP is enabled on the server?
jonsteckelberg

Post by jonsteckelberg »

Yes I am. Access from a windows computer is easy. Just not with Linux.

Thanks
Jon
Angtagapagligt

Post by Angtagapagligt »

jonsteckelberg wrote:Yes I am. Access from a windows computer is easy. Just not with Linux.

Thanks
Jon
Again: RDP is a network protocol it doesn't matter which operating system does it do... -.- It's like you would say "damn TCP on Linux - on Windows TCP is much better"
twharte

Post by twharte »

Angtagapagligt wrote:Of course it is...
That's not a matter of the operating system...
Old thread, but with server 2012 getting out there I thought i'd bring up a point...
There is no apparent understanding of the key phrase here to do with SBS that is "Remote Web Access".

"Remote Web Access" in Windows SBS and upcoming 2012 Essentials, etc is not plain RDP; It is pure M$ implementation website that relies on activeX, hence, it will not work outside IE browsers, even when running Windows and certainly not at all outside Windows.

Remote Web Access uses sbs site in IIS to funnel RDP traffic through SSL ports so that 3389 need not be open and means you can access any allowed machine, not just one. It is the reason that I was hoping FreeRDP would come with support for RDGateway, however alas it does not... yet. I've not yet found an RDP client for Linux that does support RDGateway (and even RDGateway is not strictly using Remote Web Access).

What you can do is:
1) Convince your company to allow you to VPN in, or for them to redirect some public ports to 3389 on the machines you want to remote into
2) Use an available RDP client to connect through the opening made available above by your company I.T.

Return to “Networking”