Error message when adding repo to apt-get

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nateuni

Error message when adding repo to apt-get

Post by nateuni »

Hi,

I am getting this odd error message when I go to add a repo to apt-get. I have googled around but I am unsure about what I need to do to make this work. I am running an fresh LM XFCE Debian install.

Can someone please explain what is going on and how I go about fixing it please? :?:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/add-apt-repository", line 65, in <module>
if not sp.add_source_from_line(line):
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/softwareproperties/SoftwareProperties.py", line 630, in add_source_from_line
(deb_line, file) = expand_ppa_line(line.strip(), self.distro.codename)
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/softwareproperties/ppa.py", line 47, in expand_ppa_line
sourceslistd = apt_pkg.Config.find_dir("Dir::Etc::sourceparts")
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'Config'
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
davidbe

Re: Error message when adding repo to apt-get

Post by davidbe »

What repo did you want to add?

Be cautious adding repo's when using Debian Edition: many repo's are for Ubuntu which aren't compatible with Debian!
nateuni

Post by nateuni »

I want to add grub-customizer.

And thanks for the advice.. this is my first time using Debian (I was on normal LM before).
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

you shouldn't be using ppa's in debian, they are ubuntu-specific and sooner or later something will break in your system because of that.

with that said, first:
- add-apt doesn't work in debian (as you saw)
- if you really need and want (knowing the risks and taking the chances) that ppa, go the launchpad webpage and add manually the address to your sources.list. simple :)
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

Yea what ZZero said

Ive seen/done just a package (not even using a PPA) designed for Ubuntu bring down a whole install :x
Probally someone more learned could fix problem (not me thou) :oops:

J.Jay

Return to “Xfce”