Kernel Upgrade?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
zeller
Level 1
Level 1

Kernel Upgrade?

Post by zeller »

After opening synaptic package manager I ran through my list of installed packages and whatnot before coming to those that could be upgraded. The Kernel and headers were the only things that suggested a newer version was available or that could be upgraded. I'm still using the original Kernal that came with my LinuxMint 4.0.iso

Should I? What can go wrong? Recommended? I just need a little info. With so many Kernal versions out there it's hard to know which I need.

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DISCLAIMER: Brand new user as of December 07...you have to explain it to me as if I were a 3rd grader.
Rob Brill

Re: Kernel Upgrade?

Post by Rob Brill »

paradigmX wrote:it essentially depends on your hardware, you should be ok to upgrade but sometime some hardware throws a fit with a different kernel. If you want a garantee you can read through some hardware compatability lists for the kernel version your upgrading to. But usually if your in the same "series"(ie. 2.2.xx, 2.4.xx, 2.6.xx) of kernel you'll have no problems.

Hello friend

I've read the post above (your answer) but the same happens to me here on Mint 4.0
My system is up to date according to minupdate. Well i open consola and type the commands
(as sudo with pass) apt-get update - ok, no problem
apt-get upgrade

here it comes

Kernel and headers to update but it seems the kernel is the same 2.6.22.14 generic oct/14
Wanna continue, and i said NO because de tool in charge of checking says nothing to me

I know Ubuntu updates the kernel to 2.6.22.51 and following as you said Ubuntu might see
the possibilities of doing that and did. No problem but I do not run Ubuntu no more
Ubuntu 7.10 is heavy-weight desktop

I just want to say that i expect a message from mintUpdate to perform such a task
If not, i will not do

In short, maybe i would not bring any harm to the system. At this time i think it's not necessary

Hugs
Rob

Re-editing the post:

Well, i woud like to try and i tried by my own risk

It was done through APT

linux-headers 2.6.22.14-generic
linux-image 2.6.22.14-restricted-modules-2.6.22.14
linux restricted-modules 2.6.22.14 common xserver-xorg-core

gutsy -running depmod

I was not requested to restart the sytem eventhough -central-alt-backspace to restart X
and everything was OK!

I may confess i didn't noticed any difference before and after

Same kernel 2.6.22.14

Yesterday evening runnung apt again

linux-headers-2.6.22.14-generic
linux-image-2.6.22.14-generic

gutsy -running depmod

installed
linux-headers-2.6.22.14 (2.6.22.14.52)...

roberto@roberto-desktop:~$ sudo uname -a
[sudo] password for roberto:
Linux roberto-desktop 2.6.22-14-generic #1 SMP Tue Feb 12 07:42:25 UTC 2008 i686 GNU/Linux
roberto@roberto-desktop:~$ exit

The system is alright and i didn't noticed difference before and after

Anyway i believe some kinda improvements might be done

my hardware: Pentium 4 - 2.40ghz - 512mg ram - vídeocard NVidia ge force
I connect to the internet by pppoeconf - my provider needs authentication
login and passaword. Once pppoeconf was configured - terminal - my connection
never fail. I can turn the modem off - turn the modem on and no problem

Saludos -Saudações
Rob
Last edited by Rob Brill on Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zeller
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zeller »

It might be useful to newbies like myself if mintUpdate crossreferenced one's personal hardware with the compatibility list and provided a safe option to upgrade to a newer kernel. Just a thought.
DISCLAIMER: Brand new user as of December 07...you have to explain it to me as if I were a 3rd grader.
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

An old truth:
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cmost »

Ok guys, here's the skinny on kernel upgrades. If you have any custom modules compiled against your current kernel (i.e., nvidia or ATI's fglrx drivers, wireless drivers, VMware modules, or any other custom modules...) these will have to be recompiled if you install a new kernel. It is possible that modules will still function with a new kernel if modifications were very slight. The kernel is typically patched and then updated for security reasons. A distribution (including Mint) will typically not offer an entirely new kernel as an upgrade (but may do so in its repositories as an option - Mint doesn't do this.) Personally, I install kernel upgrades, but then again, I know which modules I need to recompile afterwards. If you're not comfortable recompiling your video drivers or other custom modules then I don't recommend you install kernel updates. This is why Clem developed Mintupdate. With the old Ubuntu update manager, all updates were installed regardless of the consequences. With Mintupdate, you can be smarter and choose not to install updates that you can't recover from should something go wrong. Truth be told, the chances of someone hacking your workstation via a kernel exploit is so remote you'd have a better chance of winning the lottery. Like Zwopper said: If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
zeller
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zeller »

Thanks all. I'll hold back then.

I suppose the Mint 5 edition will have a newer Kernel by default anyways, right? If so, why not wait until then to upgrade.
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

zeller wrote:Thanks all. I'll hold back then.

I suppose the Mint 5 edition will have a newer Kernel by default anyways, right? If so, why not wait until then to upgrade.
Absolutely right!
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cmost »

prinssimikko wrote:I've been thinking about similar issues. When i started to experiment with Linux i installed Ubuntu Studio, which had real-time kernel to enable more efficien audio editing. Now that i'm settled down with Mint, i was wondering if it is possible to have the same real-time capabilities?

i search synaptic with "real time" but the result was so confusing that i didnt dare to install anything...

also google gave me some extremely technical developer stuff... :?

- Mikko
You can use whatever kernel you like. I use the server kernel myself as I have 4 GB of RAM. The key is consistency. You will want to ensure that you replace your normal kernel and ancillary items with the -rt variants - tit for tat. Here's what I would install:

linux-image-2.6.22-14-rt
linux-image-rt
linux-rt
linux-headers-2.6.22-14-rt
linux-headers-rt
linux-restricted-modules-2.6.22-14-rt
linux-restricted-modules-rt
linux-ubuntu-modules-2.6.22-14-rt
linux-backports-modules-2.6.22-14-rt
linux-backports-modules-rt

...and any dependencies for the above!

When you reboot your machine, choose the -rt kernel instead of your current one and you'll be all set! If something goes wrong, your original kernel is still there. If you like the new kernel, you can always modify the boot menu later to make it the default (I can assist with that) or you can simply remove the original kernel and ancillary items leaving the -rt variant in its place. Good luck!
zeller
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zeller »

cmost: can you give a step by step of this for those of us who don't know how to do what you're stating? I count myself as one of those.

Return to “Beginner Questions”