Mate Desktop Environment - GNOME2 fork

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lurkatron

Re: Mate Desktop Environment - GNOME2 fork

Post by lurkatron »

thanks expander
i didnt try it for ages and it didnt work for me back then, totally unstable, but i really miss compiz..
i wonder if the new 1.2 version is getting stable and useable..
xpander

Post by xpander »

lurkatron wrote:thanks expander
i didnt try it for ages and it didnt work for me back then, totally unstable, but i really miss compiz..
i wonder if the new 1.2 version is getting stable and useable..
dont know about the compiz situation since im not using it. but without it its really stable
my current uptime is 30 days without any crashers, freezes or bugs in MATE.
äxl

Post by äxl »

bdantas wrote:printing-related notifications
Is mate-notification-tool not helping?
bdantas

Post by bdantas »

Hi, axl. I couldn't find mate-notification-tool. I did, however, find and install mate-notification-daemon, which moved the battery notifications to the notification area (vs. intrusive messagebox in the middle of the screen). Thanks for the tip. Still no print-related notifications, though :(

After years of using Gnome2 (which used to show an icon in notification area when a print job is sent to printer), it is disconcerting not to have any visual cue that a print job was sent. Is anyone on LMDE UP4 with MATE getting anything at all to show in the notification area when print jobs are sent/pending? I get nothing even though the "printer applet" (command = system-config-printer-applet) under Startup Applications is checked.

Note: I used LM12/MATE before switching to LMDE/MATE, and don't remember this being an issue on LM12/MATE.
bdantas

Post by bdantas »

I did some searching and it looks like in Gnome2 the print status notifications are done by scp-dbus-service (part of system-config-printer), which is whitelisted to appear on the panel via gconf.
I downloaded mate-conf-editor and looked through all the settings carefully, but I didn't see anything that looks like a mate-panel whitelist.
I've really hit a brick wall on this one :? Hopefully one of you guys who know more than me and are equally vexed by the lack of a print manager applet in LMDE/MATE will help me find a solution.
nomko

Post by nomko »

I like the Mate desktop environment for its simplicity. But to me, it seems that i cannot configure or change settings properly. As an example, i'm using alacarte and the standard Main Menu editor. Doesn't matter in which of those 2 tools i change the entries, Mate doesn't seem to take any notice of those changes. This is really a (for me at least) hugh drawback since i want to have full control over Mate. Another thing is, i have a 22" LCD screen and i always had my webbrowser on the right side of the screen not enlarged over the whole screen. But everytime when i start up my webbrowser, i appears on the left side of the screen and i have to move it to the right side manually. This annoys me a lot, can this be changed in some way? I haven'f found any solution yet. Maybe i'm complaining too much, but some few things annoys me a little bit. Some small things i had with Ubuntu i's missing with Mint/Mate.
bdantas

Post by bdantas »

@nomko: alacarte is Gnome's menu editor and doesn't talk to MATE. I've edited my menus extensively with MATE's menu editor, mozo, and haven't had any problems. Could it be that when you are invoking the "standard main menu editor" your system is defaulting to alacarte? Try alt+F2 then mozo.

Regarding your window placement problem, I am using Firefox on LMDE/MATE and can confirm that when I close Firefox and reopen it, the window is placed in the center of screen regardless of where I placed it last. To me this behavior is desirable, but I can see that in your situation you'd want to override it. I'm not sure how one would do that--could it be a Firefox setting in about:config? If not, then this is probably an X or compiz setting. If I resize my browser window and close Firefox, when I start Firefox again it does remember the window size.

----------------
edit:
Nomko, google yielded this: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1708355
I realize the thread is a bit old and that it is for Ubuntu, but there are some good ideas there. Check out post #2--the Compiz settings mentioned might fix your problem. If not, try the Metacity (called Marco in MATE) tip. Good luck :)
äxl

Post by äxl »

Is this a bug or just a shortcoming? When calling mate-sound-recorder:

Code: Select all

Could not create the GStreamer MateConf audio recording element.
Please install the 'mateconfelements' plugin from the 'gst-plugins-good' module.
Verify that the installation is correct by running
    gst-inspect-0.10 mateconfaudiosrc
and then restart mate-sound-recorder.
gst-inspect-0.10 mateconfaudiosrc says "No such element or plugin 'mateconfaudiosrc'". I have gstreamer0.10-plugins-good (0.10.31-1) installed but I don't know if that is even meant.
squeezy

Post by squeezy »

äxl wrote:Is this a bug or just a shortcoming? When calling mate-sound-recorder:

Please install the 'mateconfelements' plugin from the 'gst-plugins-good' module.
gst-inspect-0.10 mateconfaudiosrc says "No such element or plugin 'mateconfaudiosrc'". I have gstreamer0.10-plugins-good (0.10.31-1) installed but I don't know if that is even meant.
I get that same error using MATE's Sound Recorder. The GNOME Sound Recorder works fine though.
Amanas

Post by Amanas »

äxl wrote:Is this a bug or just a shortcoming? When calling mate-sound-recorder:

We're aware of the issue. https://github.com/mate-desktop/mate-me ... nt-5211791
äxl

Post by äxl »

Amanas wrote:We're aware of the issue. https://github.com/mate-desktop/mate-me ... nt-5211791
:oops: I should propably register now.

On another note: I had to pin debian.org to 99 because it wanted to upgrade some libraries (some also after this http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 14#p562914). Although man apt_preferences still says "0 < P <=100" for not upgrading. Though I'm not sure there's a reason not to upgrade. Atril is working fine.
5oak

Post by 5oak »

[quote=Now, if only I could somehow make Compiz use my window borders.[/quote]

+1 Is there a way yet?

Btw, this baby kicks ass! =]
pqwoerituytrueiwoq

Post by pqwoerituytrueiwoq »

5oak wrote:
Now, if only I could somehow make Compiz use my window borders.[/quote wrote:
+1 Is there a way yet?

Btw, this baby kicks ass! =]
https://github.com/perberos/Mate-Deskto ... nt-5401605
i still need to try it
Goro Daimon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Goro Daimon »

I have one suggestion. I am newbie and I want(for love of God). Drag in drop total in menus without alacarte, MATE Bars, and all like other operating systems
marin

Post by marin »

@AlexSL
AlexSL wrote:Thank you for fixing my bugs, but some bugs not fixed yet.

2. In mate-terminal when I open any man page, I can't scroll it with mouse wheel. I can scroll with mouse wheel in mate-terminal, but not in man page. In gnome-terminal I can scroll man page with mouse wheel.
Take a look at this: http://linux.die.net/man/5/terminator_config
alternate_screen_scroll (boolean)
Whether or not the mouse wheel scrolls alternate screen buffers (man, vim, mutt, etc). This is the default behavior of VTE, however Ubuntu and possbly other distributions feature patched versions of VTE where this functionality is optional. The option only effects the patched versions of VTE, otherwise it is ignored. Default value: True
:?
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

How do you upgrade to Mate 1.2 in Mint 12? I followed the instructions on webupd8 and get the "sources not found" message. Thanks :wink:
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

Robin try this way,

sudo add-apt-repository "deb http://packages.mate-desktop.org/repo/ubuntu oneiric main"
now tweak the preferences file, so that mate 1.2 can be installed without error

gksu gedit /etc/apt/preferences
and add this on the end of the file (save & close after)

Package: *
Pin: origin packages.mate-desktop.org
Pin-Priority: 700
now,

apt update

apt install mate-archive-keyring
(i believe you can skip this, because add-apt should add the keyring at the same time, dunno)

apt update

apt install mate-desktop-environment
(you shouldn't have any error here, logout, login into mate)
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

Still getting the 404 failed to fetch message. Maybe the servers are down?? I'll keep trying. Thanks zero! :wink:
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

Got it zero! It was showing up as Lisa instead of Oneiric for some reason. Once I changed that and added the keyring, it worked beautifully :D
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

ahh, that is an old bug (add-apt changing the address to lisa instead of oneiric) but should be solved by now :shock: apparently not. anyway glad you got it.

Return to “MATE”