Xfce 32-bit installation issue after running gparted

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
dman
Level 3
Level 3

Xfce 32-bit installation issue after running gparted

Post by dman »

I'm installing LMDE 1204 Xfce from the LiveUSB key on a 32-bit machine. I decided to manually repartition, as I wanted to resize current partitions to make room. Gparted loaded and the operation completed successfully. I exited that and was back at the installation screen. I clicked to refresh the disk information. The new space showed up in the text area, but the picture of my partitions did not refresh.

In an attempt to clear the visual display's cache, I used the "back" button and went to another drive first, then went back and returned to /dev/sda1. The picture still had not refreshed.

I'm editing this post now. Originally I wrote:
So far this is not a biggie -- it's just a display bug. We'll see how the installation continues.

It's a biggie. The install won't continue. It wants me to choose where to install filesystem "/" first. Uh. [Okay, after rebooting and seeing the same thing on a new attempt, it dawned on me to try the right-click menu. Who knew?] I took some screen shots, which I can post if anybody's interested. Will now reboot the LiveUSB key and see, as trying the installation over in the same session didn't work. I suspect the partition changes need to be synced. Maybe I should try running partprobe first and then the install wizard again first.

Addendum: now installed successfully, though I had some permissions trouble and had to add "mint" to /etc/sudoers with ALL rights to get it to work. I have a companion post about some of those troubles.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zerozero

Re: LMDE 1204 installation issue after running gparted

Post by zerozero »

the post "as-is" is confusing, sorry to say :wink:

if i understand it you want to make/resize partitions to install lmde into it, right?
why don't you run gparted first, do the partitioning you have to do, close it and then start the installer?
i personally like KISS approaches: one partitioning tool to partition the drive and the installer to install the system :lol:
dman
Level 3
Level 3

Re: LMDE 1204 installation issue after running gparted

Post by dman »

zerozero wrote:the post "as-is" is confusing, sorry to say :wink:
Sorry about that, chief. :-)
zerozero wrote:if i understand it you want to make/resize partitions to install lmde into it, right?
why don't you run gparted first, do the partitioning you have to do, close it and then start the installer?
i personally like KISS approaches: one partitioning tool to partition the drive and the installer to install the system :lol:
Meanwhile the version is installed, but I just wanted to say that I already tried this. Or rather, I exited the installer and rebooted the machine, then re-entered the installer. The installer still showed wrong partition info! I also then could not run the installation until I manually added user "mint" to the sudoers file in the LiveUSB.
Inkit

Re: Xfce 32-bit installation issue after running gparted

Post by Inkit »

Meanwhile the version is installed, but I just wanted to say that I already tried this. Or rather, I exited the installer and rebooted the machine, then re-entered the installer. The installer still showed wrong partition info! I also then could not run the installation until I manually added user "mint" to the sudoers file in the LiveUSB.
I think what ZeroZero means to say is that when you startup from the live medium, you go to menu, open gparted and partition your drive. Once that is completed, you close gparted double click on the install icon and install.
Using the partitioning tool given in the installer does cause some problems and if you go far enough back through these forums you'll find a few that deal with your, or a similar, issue.
dman
Level 3
Level 3

Post by dman »

Inkit wrote:I think what ZeroZero means to say is that when you startup from the live medium, you go to menu, open gparted and partition your drive. Once that is completed, you close gparted double click on the install icon and install.
Using the partitioning tool given in the installer does cause some problems and if you go far enough back through these forums you'll find a few that deal with your, or a similar, issue.
Thanks. I actually tried to use gparted first from the LivePendrive, but it wanted a root password. (I posted about that already in a different thread. I tried various ways to hack my way in, including editing "sudoers." But I never could get gparted to work from that LivePendrive environment. So I started the installation session anyway, and then found I could use gparted early on in there. :-)
Inkit

Post by Inkit »

I actually tried to use gparted first from the LivePendrive, but it wanted a root password
Sorry, never had that happen to me.

Return to “LMDE Archive”