[solved] How to compile GIMP 2.8 on Debian?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
roger64
Level 4
Level 4

[solved] How to compile GIMP 2.8 on Debian?

Post by roger64 »

Hi

I hurried to download it as I wished to compile it. When I looked the informations on the INSTALL note, I cooled down. This is far beyond my knowledge. If I could at least use a list of dependencies to download (existing on Debian repositories with their Debian names), this would allow to compile it easily. This remark is also true for the plugins which require sometimes the same kind of dependency hunt.

Or maybe we'll find it soon on Debian Sid without having to compile?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
craigevil

Re: How to compile GIMP 2.8 on Debian?

Post by craigevil »

It will be forever and a day before it makes its way into sid.

You can use the sidcution repo. Info on it is in my Giant sources.list in my signature.

$ apt-cache policy gimp
gimp:
Installed: (none)
Candidate: 2.8.0-0.siduction.1
Version table:
2.8.0-0.siduction.1 0
500 http://packages.siduction.org/experimental/ unstable/main i386 Packages
2.6.12-1+b2 0
500 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ unstable/main i386 Packages
roger64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by roger64 »

Thanks for your -hard- work (I bookmark it immediately) and your reply. I'll certainly have a try, because the new Gimp version is quite a significant progress.

"Forever and one day"... mmm :D
barryp
Level 2
Level 2

Post by barryp »

Hi Craigevil

Thanks for your post.

However after adding the Siduction repo to sources.list I get
W: GPG error: http://packages.siduction.org unstable InRelease: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 15CBD88045C45076
I've googled & tried some things, but not got anywhere. It's outside my experience I'm afraid.

Cheers
Barry
xircon

Post by xircon »

Barry

Open synaptic search for siduction-archive-keyring, install and refresh.

also:

I got Gimp2.8 from here, add to sources, install Gimp and immediately disable because it contains a lot of Ubuntu stuff that will likely trash your system.

Code: Select all

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/otto-kesselgulasch/gimp/ubuntu oneiric main
Steve
rich2005

Post by rich2005 »

@xircon

Thanks for the ppa reference. Its works fine here.

I did find that on its own it wanted to uninstall maybe half the system.

Enabling debian testing fixed that. So now I have a Gimp 2.8 RC1.

screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/uWDOg.jpg

As you say, after installing, disable the repos.
craigevil

Post by craigevil »

barryp wrote:Hi Craigevil

Thanks for your post.

However after adding the Siduction repo to sources.list I get
W: GPG error: http://packages.siduction.org unstable InRelease: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 15CBD88045C45076
I've googled & tried some things, but not got anywhere. It's outside my experience I'm afraid.

Cheers
Barry
every repo has a gpg key , you just need to install it.

apt-get install siduction-archive-keyring gimp
On a side note please do not use PPAs made for Ubuntu. Debian and Ubuntu are NOT compatible, sooner or later you will end up with a completely trashed system. Chances are if there is a silly Ubuntu PPA for a particular package there is a Debian repo for it as well. Which is why I am constantly editing my Giant sources.list.
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

Nice change in the GUI.
Surprising how a little thing like having everything in one window can make the "old GIMP" more user friendly. :mrgreen:

verahill
Level 1
Level 1

Post by verahill »

I've described the process in much more detail here: http://verahill.blogspot.com.au/2012/05 ... ebian.html

EDIT: it seems that on LMDE you need to edit /etc/ld.so.conf and add a single line:
/usr/local/lib

Compiling GIMP actually very easy and no-one should feel intimated.
Download ftp://ftp.gtk.org/pub/babl/0.1/babl-0.1.10.tar.bz2 and ftp://ftp.gtk.org/pub/gegl/0.2/gegl-0.2.0.tar.bz2

Untar each file with the xvf switches. In each directory do
./configure
make
sudo make install

If you shoot a --prefix to configure you'll be doing a bit more fiddling -- babl and gegl seem to be gimp specific, so I wouldn't bother about that.

Next get gimp:
ftp://ftp.gimp.org/pub/gimp/v2.8/gimp-2.8.0.tar.bz2
untar it, and pass --prefix=/home/${USER}/.gimp --disable-python to configure. Then do make, and make install (no sudo necessary) as before.

This way you'll have the repo version as well as well as the new version.

You should edit your ~/.bashrc and add
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/usr/local/lib
alias gimp28='/home/yourusername/.gimp/bin/gimp-2.8'

Close/reopen your shell, or source your ~/.bashrc
Last edited by verahill on Sat May 05, 2012 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

verahill,
interesting coincidences :) about 10 minutes ago i bookmarked your blog (when looking for "compile wine on debian"), lots of interesting stuff in there 8)
and now gimp as well. tomorrow it's gonna be a busy day :wink:
roger64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by roger64 »

Hi

I tried the detailed verahill method. Thanks to him. We need pioneers.

The first item, babl, was straightforward. I felt proud.
The second one, gegl, alas was more tricky.
- It failed to configure because "GLIB 2.28.0 or better is required". But, I learnt I could download it at their ftp site. Fair enough: I went there, downloaded GLIB 2.32.1 (an overkill?).
- Loo, It failed to configure now for another reason because a "working zlib library and headers were not found".

I have been in these kind of situations before. I am sure, with a little more brains, I could have get through. I understand I have better wait for some other reports. For the time being: full stop. Lying low. :D
verahill
Level 1
Level 1

Post by verahill »

Roger64,
I have to admit that I'm not using mint in any shape or form, but am following the debian testing repos. There may be a slight delay between LMDE and my system thus. Having said that, I think you might be able to solve your problem with

sudo apt-get install libglib2.0-dev zlib1g-dev

The ONLY packages you should need to compile for yourself are babl, gegl and gimp itself.

As a general rule -- to those interested in compiling software for themself and find that there are required packages missing. In 9 times out of 10 the package is available in the repos -- do
aptitude search packagename| grep dev
to see what package it might be, and then
aptitude show packagename
to see the package version.

e.g.
aptitude search libglib|grep dev
aptitude show libglib2.0-dev

I hope it works out. Post a reply to let us know whether you're the proud new owner of GIMP 2.8.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

tried first in debian testing (proper) and gegl failed to compile with an obscure error (now i understand that should be a dep missing but still can't see which) and because of that failure gimp doesn't compile either with the same error Mark posted in your blog. (this install is almost vanilla, so it's natural that lots of pkgs are missing)

just to double-check, tried again in my main system and here was absolutely straightforward, not one single error. Great tips :D specially the one about ~/.bashrc that in lmde has to be /etc/bash/bashrc
babl pastebin
gegl pastebin
gimp-1 and gimp-2
verahill
Level 1
Level 1

Post by verahill »

Zerozero,
just to make sure I understand this: You couldn't, and still can't, compile under which system?

And which system did you ultimately have success with?

As for ~/.bashrc --- the /etc/bash.bashrc is system wide, while your .bashrc in ~ (i.e. /home/user/) is user-specific. If you don't have a ~/.bashrc, don't be shy about starting one. There's no magic syntax for beginning or end -- you just add the different commands.

A very basic ~/.bashrc could be a single line, e.g.
alias gimp28='/home/me/.gimp/bin/gimp-2.8'

Clarify where the compile did and didn't work, so that future readers won't be confused. Also, that way I can try to see why.

The pastebins looked like they were from the successful compile.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

sorry, verahill, it's a bit late here :oops: i'll try to be clear:

unsuccessful attempt:
- almost vanilla debian testing (proper);
- the system has no compiling history (apart from the broadcom wireless drivers);
- gegl fails there with an obscure error (i'll try tomorrow to replicate that :) ) and because of that gimp doesn't compile (because can't find gegl-0.2)

successful attempt:
- lmde tracking testing repos (my main system)
- with some compiling history and where i found that all the pkgs needed for compiling babl, gegl and gimp were already met.
- the pastebins are from the successful attempt in lmde.

obviously, both systems are accessing the same repos (well lmde, one extra, but that's not relevant for the question) so the diff. is in the pkgs i have installed in lmde and still don't have in wheezy (tomorrow with physic access to that system again i'll debug this issue and report here)

re ./bashrc was only a note mainly highlighting that there is one diff. re lmde
roger64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by roger64 »

Hi

@verahill

Thanks for your -much needed- help. gegl still fails to compile.

First I had to install intltool. Once done, I tried to compile it. The make phase ended with:

make[4]: entrant dans le répertoire « /home/roger/gegl-0.2.0/gimp-2.8.0/gegl-0.2.0/docs/gallery »
--[Updating sample compositions]--
./clones.xml
/home/roger/gegl-0.2.0/gimp-2.8.0/gegl-0.2.0/bin/.libs/lt-gegl: error while loading shared libraries: libbabl-0.1.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
make[5]: *** [clones.png] Erreur 127
./OpenRaster-00.xml
/home/roger/gegl-0.2.0/gimp-2.8.0/gegl-0.2.0/bin/.libs/lt-gegl: error while loading shared libraries: libbabl-0.1.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
make[5]: *** [OpenRaster-00.png] Erreur 127
./OpenRaster-01.xml
make[5]: *** [OpenRaster-01.png] Erreur 127
./OpenRaster-04.xml
make[5]: *** [OpenRaster-04.png] Erreur 127
make[4]: *** [images.stamp] Erreur 2
make[4]: quittant le répertoire « /home/roger/gegl-0.2.0/gimp-2.8.0/gegl-0.2.0/docs/gallery »
make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Erreur 1
make[3]: quittant le répertoire « /home/roger/gegl-0.2.0/gimp-2.8.0/gegl-0.2.0/docs/gallery »
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Erreur 1
make[2]: quittant le répertoire « /home/roger/gegl-0.2.0/gimp-2.8.0/gegl-0.2.0/docs »
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Erreur 1
make[1]: quittant le répertoire « /home/roger/gegl-0.2.0/gimp-2.8.0/gegl-0.2.0 »
make: *** [all] Erreur 2

I tried to follow your advice and installed libbabl-0.0.0-dev and did it again, to fail on the same error.

And

roger@lmde64 ~ $ aptitude search libbabl | grep devel
roger@lmde64 ~ $ aptitude show libbabl-0.1
E: Paquet libbabl-0.1 introuvable 
These are the repos I am tracking:

deb http://packages.linuxmint.com/ debian main upstream import
deb http://debian.linuxmint.com/latest testing main contrib non-free
deb http://debian.linuxmint.com/latest/security testing/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://debian.linuxmint.com/latest/multimedia testing main non-free
deb http://www.lamaresh.net/apt squeeze main
deb http://www.duinsoft.nl/pkg debs all
deb http://liveusb.info/multisystem/depot all main
craigevil

Post by craigevil »

I am lazy all I did was add the siduction repo.

$ apt-cache policy gimp
gimp:
Installed: 2.8.0-0.siduction.1
Candidate: 2.8.0-0.siduction.1
Version table:
*** 2.8.0-0.siduction.1 0
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
2.6.12-1+b2 0
500 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ unstable/main i386 Packages
verahill
Level 1
Level 1

Post by verahill »

Roger64,
1. the babl and gegl packages in the testing repos are too old. Everything ELSE should be ok.
2. it's not grep devel, but grep dev. (e.g. libbabl-dev --- but again, it's too old)
3. IF you did the regular ./configure, make, sudo make install with babl as shown in the post, then your babl libs are here:
/usr/local/lib/libbabl-0.1.la
/usr/local/lib/libbabl-0.1.so
/usr/local/lib/libbabl-0.1.so.0
/usr/local/lib/libbabl-0.1.so.0.109.1
4. In order for gegl and gimp to find the babl libs, you need to add
/usr/local/lib
to your /etc/ld.so.conf file
and do
sudo ldconfig
5. NOW, you should be able to get going. You should NOT need to fiddle with BABL_LIB or BABL_CFLAGS etc.

Let me know how it works out. It should be a simple build.
verahill
Level 1
Level 1

Post by verahill »

Zerozero,
I'll have a look at the error when you post it. However, if it's a new system there could be a few simple things missing.
Does it fail at the configure stage? If so, have you got the usual build toolchain installed (build-essential, gfortran, gcc, g++)

Other packages you might want to make sure are installed:
libgtk2.0-dev
libglib2.0-dev
zlib1g-dev
python2.7-dev
libc6-dev

If it's failing at the make stage it's often because it's not really finding the correct libs (ideally this is caught during configure, but that's not how the world works). Anyway, post your errors and I may (or may not) be able to aid you
roger64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by roger64 »

@verahill

I went through your points 3 and 4. I have these files. I added the path and after did sudo ldconfig.

When I try to configure Gimp, I get this:

checking for BABL... yes
checking for GEGL... no
configure: error: Package requirements (gegl-0.2 >= 0.2.0) were not met:

No package 'gegl-0.2' found

Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you
installed software in a non-standard prefix.

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables GEGL_CFLAGS
and GEGL_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
See the pkg-config man page for more details.
Forgive me, It's beyond my ability. I give up. Thanks a lot for your help, I'm sure this will be useful for someone else. Please accept my apologies.
Last edited by roger64 on Sun May 06, 2012 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “LMDE Archive”