update graphics rolling fix (LMDE)

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
mintyed

update graphics rolling fix (LMDE)

Post by mintyed »

Hi many people have problems with installing nvidia drivers in lmde and it breaks the os, you may need to instal the drivers outside x etc. well to solve this
Edit: if you have run this before i got it wrong please follow it again to fix and install. Edit
for a rolling release setup yo can try thisclick here the manual click here see manual for ati and other drivers

it seemed to go ok

This is for nvidia graphics. Note: read the above links for how-to for other cards
First: Add yourself to the video group
  1. open menu go to Anministration>users and groups.
  2. click on manage groups
  3. select video
  4. click preferences
  5. select your username make sure the box is ticked and press ok
Now we are ready to install the rolling driver
  1. close all programs running
  2. presss ctrl+alt+f1 and login
  3. you need to be in a root terminal

Code: Select all

sudo -i
  4. stop x

sudo service gdm3 stop
  5. install drivers

cd /usr/local/bin && wget -Nc smxi.org/sgfxi && chmod +x sgfxi && sgfxi
    ignore cant run sgfix permission denied error
  6. reboot computer

reboot
this should give you a rolling release driver for your g'card no more update issues

if someone who has update pack 3 could do this before updating to pack 4 could let us know if it works thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 7 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
anthro_a

Re: update graphics rolling fix (LMDE)

Post by anthro_a »

Thanks so much. Your instructions are very clear and I finally succeeded installing the nvidia driver. I have already updated to up4 so can't help you there but I would like to note that I had a problem with gnome 3 crashing on reboot. I had to log in in fallback mode. I tried starting glxgears in a terminal and it ran but with this error. NVIDIA: could not open the device file /dev/nvidiactl (Permission denied). Opening users and groups and adding myself to the video group solved the problem.
mintyed

Post by mintyed »

anthro_a wrote:Thanks so much. Your instructions are very clear and I finally succeeded installing the nvidia driver. I have already updated to up4 so can't help you there but I would like to note that I had a problem with gnome 3 crashing on reboot. I had to log in in fallback mode. I tried starting glxgears in a terminal and it ran but with this error. NVIDIA: could not open the device file /dev/nvidiactl (Permission denied). Opening users and groups and adding myself to the video group solved the problem.
Thanks allot for the encouragement and the great final step that is needed i have added it to the original post.
longtom

Post by longtom »

Thanks. Doesn't work though.

Fresh install - Here is what I get:

gdm3: unrecognized service
I have the xfce desktop. What do I need to tell him - this wrong resolution kills me....

Video card is a Nvidia GeForce FX5200 Ultra.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

longtom,
in the new respins gdm3 was replaced with mdm, so you have to tweak the command above to reflect that.
longtom

Post by longtom »

Thanks - that shut it down.

However - installation failed because the 173.xxx Nvidia driver doesn't work with Xorg 1.11 (or so says the error).

What now?
GeorgeHahn

Post by GeorgeHahn »

Worked wonderfully for me, thank you sir!

Return to “LMDE Archive”