Stupid question: HOw do I reset the monitor settings?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gosa
Level 4
Level 4

Stupid question: HOw do I reset the monitor settings?

Post by gosa »

Hi All,
came across a little problem that I really don't know how to get past:

Normally I have my Netbook connected to an external monitor, and I've set it so it only uses that monitor.
Yesterday, leaving home (first time since I installed LM12 lxde) I just unplugged the netbook, packed it down and left.

Now - a huge amount of km's away from my external monitor my netbook still think that I've got it connected, which mean that I can boot up the computer, I can actually do the login, but then my netbook screen gets black. (Because my OS still outputs to my now empty vga-port)

How can I get past this? Is there a text file I can edit/delete to get my OS to "poll" my hardware all over again at the next boot? I've read about deleting xorg.conf but I can't seem to find this file in my system? Is there anything else I can do?

Luckily I just installed the latest lubuntu for testing on another partittion - that's where I'm writing this from - but it is quite stripped down right now as I haven't installed all my apps or done any settings yet.

So - I'm going to be out for a few days more... is there any hope of getting into my LM12 setup before I get home?

Thanks in advance,
/gosa

Edit: corrected some typos
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
seppalta

Re: Stupid question: HOw do I reset the monitor settings?

Post by seppalta »

Install Lxrandr to turn individual monitors on or off. See http://douwil7.100webspace.net/linux/Tuning.html#16 for general details.
gosa
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Stupid question: HOw do I reset the monitor settings?

Post by gosa »

So you're saying that lxrandr is not included in LM12 lxde?
- Silly me... what is it then that controls the monitor settings in Mint lxde?
By the way - booted into recovery mode, entered "terminal" (or whatever it's called) and called up lxrandr and xrandr respectively, and both of them returned an error - think it said "can't open screen". Don't know if this say something.

Even so... forgive me, but I'm not sure you read my post completely. I can log in, but then the screen goes black. How am I then supposed to install lxrandr? (now that you say I don't have it) I'm in a hotel room, with a wireless connection. Are you saying that I can go into recovery mode, log in to a prompt as root with network and download & install lxrandr?

Besides - I didn't have any problems using both internal/external monitor (or one at a time) at home. It's just that for some reason I forgot to switch back to internal monitor only while the external was still connected. (Don't understand why my OS doesn't understand that one monitor got disconnected). So - knowing that it actually does work with two monitors already - why would I have to download and install something new.

Finally - a side note:

With all due respect - I understand that you're proud of your guide, and therefore like to promote it - you should be proud, because it is a damn good one. But please understand - and no disrespect meant - this is the second time you answer one of my questions with a link to your guide, and while it is a good one (said that already didn't I?) it doesn't really answer any questions just posting a link. Moreover - for someone asking a question it might not be of any help at all just getting a "RTFM" (I know that this is not what you mean, but that is how it can be interpreted) - it ain't that simple. The first time I got the link as a reply the answer wasn't even close to be being found in that guide, becasue it was my own stupidity confusing one applet with another that created my problem. So would it hurt to actually try to look at the problem and answer accordingly instead of just throwing that link around?

Best regards,
/gosa

Edit:
1. Seems I do have lxrandr already. Hope it came by default, because I can't remember installing it (on the other hand - I am getting older, so that might be the explanation.
2. The error I get when trying to run lxrandr or xrandr from the "prompt" is : "Can't open display" - nothing else.
3. Tried running sudo X -configure (read that somewhere in these forums.) That one ended with: "Number of created screens does not match number of detected devices. Configuration failed."

Return to “Software & Applications”